View Full Version : print a logo to the screen

03-08-2001, 11:41 AM
I am trying to print a logo on a window. It is a 3-d window (the mouse can move the view point all around the objects). The other labels I have in the window are made to move with the objects. Now, when I am trying to place a logo in the bottom corner, I cannot get it to translate to its position.
I have tried: glrasterpos2i( , ) and gltranslatef( ) before and after the print statement.
It seems so obvious, but I cannot get the logo to move from the center of the screen. Any help is appreciate. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/redface.gif

03-08-2001, 12:58 PM

the raster position is also affected by the curretn transformation matrix and the projection matrix (even though raster positions are intuitively 2D entities).

oh, and if glrasterpos* falls outside the viewport, then its new position isn't set. so, check the following:

- make sure you know what your projection matrix is doing
- make sure you have set up your desired transform matrix
> when in doubt (and in *serious* bug-fix mode), try multiplying out your projection and transform matricies with the desired raster pos, and check that the output you're getting makes sense to you

Tim Stirling
03-09-2001, 11:45 PM
Load an identity matrix (glLoadIdentity() http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif and then translate out a little from the screen and then use the glRasterPos*() function. Otherwise it is still affected by translations and rotations which is strange. This is what I have to do to get text to display correctly.

03-10-2001, 02:47 AM
The best way to print something (2D logo, text ... ) at a given position on the screen is to reset your projection matrix to an orthogonal projection w/ one unit per pixel.
This done, you can work in screen coordinates

You can do it like this:

GLint viewport[4];
GLint saved_matrix_mode;

// Get the viewport
glGetIntegerv(GL_VIEWPORT, viewport);

// Save current matrix mode
glGetIntegerv(GL_MATRIX_MODE, &saved_matrix_mode);

// Save current modelview matrix
// Load identity matrix for modelview transformation

// Save current projection matrix
// Load identity matrix for viewing projection
// Set new projection matrix (orthogonal)
gluOrtho2D(0.0, (GLfloat) viewport[2], 0.0, (GLfloat) viewport[3]);

// Set raster position in screen coordinates
glRasterPos2i(Origin.x, Origin.y);

// Draw your logo
glDrawPixels(width, height, format, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image_buffer);

// Restore the matrices

// Restore matrix mode

Edit: A quad with a nice blended texture (w/ an alpha channel, loaded from a TGA file) is much better than glDrawPixels because it is much faster with hardware acceleration.
You can specify the coordinates of the vertices of your quad as 2 integers (x, y) representing screen coordinates and don't need to specify the raster position any more.

[This message has been edited by Moz (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Moz (edited 03-11-2001).]

Tim Stirling
03-10-2001, 11:52 PM
Moz for that type of method you don't have to save the matrix, just push and then pop the matrix back.

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); // Select The Projection Matrix
glPushMatrix(); // Store The Projection Matrix
glLoadIdentity(); // Reset The Projection Matrix
glOrtho(0,640,0,480,-100,100); // Set Up An Ortho Screen
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); // Select The Modelview Matrix
glPushMatrix(); // Store The Modelview Matrix
glLoadIdentity(); // Reset The Modelview Matrix
// draw some stuff (blended, textured, alpha tested quad etc.)
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); // Select The Projection Matrix
glPopMatrix(); // Restore The Old Projection Matrix
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); // Select The Modelview Matrix

This should be faster than saving a matix (maybe not that much) but makes for better code.

03-11-2001, 03:41 AM

look again, I don't save the matrices, I push/pop the modelview and projection matrices. What I save is the matrix mode (It's most likely to be GL_MODELVIEW so you can skip the calls to glGetIntegerv(GL_MATRIX_MODE, &saved_matrix_mode) and glMatrixMode(saved_matrix_mode)).

03-11-2001, 06:39 AM
One thing you did forget to do was a LoadIdentity before you call gluOrtho2d

glPushMatrix(); // Load new projection matrix (orthogonal)
gluOrtho2D(0.0, (GLfloat) viewport[2], 0.0, (GLfloat) viewport[3]);

If you don't put glLoadIdentity() between those two calls, you will be multiplying the current matrix with the results of gluOrtho2d, and probably won't get what you want. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Deiussum (edited 03-11-2001).]

03-11-2001, 07:57 AM
Good point Deiussum http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/biggrin.gif!

I corrected it to make the code right.
Thanx for mentionning that.