Planning to compile redbook into .chm file =)

Over the past couple of months, lots of people ask about where could I find an online copy of redbook/superbible…

These copies are VERY slow loading over a 56k modem… (luckily I’ll move to broadband in 2 days!!), anyway, I was thinking of compiling the entire redbook into a .CHM help file (needs IE4+). These help files are great, and easy to maintain (1 file).

What I really want to know is that if I can legally get all the online redbook files, and compile them into 1 .CHM file. Then I’d distribute them freely.

For those who are not fimiliar with what a .CHM file is, it is a HTML help file format that is designed by MS. I don’t think you can view these under linux, unless you get some special programs or something…

Anyway, I was wondering if I have to get some kind of special permission to do this or not… (I rather not, it’s probably a hassal and probably take me like weeks to get it, with other legal issues).

-Navreet

Well i don’t know mush about rights and legals but concerning the red book i think you’ll need to deal with Addison-Wesley Publishing Company and/or SGI…

A cool explicative email could make it :wink:
good luck man !!

While it’s a good idea… But i think you will not get permission… They wrote the book to sell, it costs them money to publish the book…

You can write your own book, with simular stuff…

I was talking about the older free editions that are freely available over the web… I’ve already compiled the older redbook which uses aux… it’s sitting on my desktop, but it’s not going anywhere, until I think it’s safe to distribute… I guess I’ll just use it for myself (Is that legal?!, I hope so.). I mean I am including stuff like publisher info and about pages also. So I dunno…

I don’t now if it’s legal or not, but I would sure like a copy if it is legal. Sounds like a really great idea.