Nvidia SDK Question

Hi…

I’ve been out of the openGL development loop for a while and decided to get back into it. I’ve downloaded the SDK and Effects Browser, but don’t see any docs on what the actual classes in the SDK do. Is there any clear documentation that explains things like how to use the ParticleRenderer class, for example?

Also, and this is really confusing, what exactly is this MACRO language that I see? I looked at a bunch of these *.vp files in the SDK directory, and found stuff like:

Compute vector from point to vertex.

Then compute the magnitude.

ADD R6, R0, -c[14];
DP3 R7.x, R6, R6;

ADD R6, R0, -c[15];
DP3 R7.y, R6, R6;

What exactly is this? Is this how the nInfiniteFX engine is programmed? And where is the documentation for this MACRO language and how does it fit into OpenGL?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I’ve only seen marketing hype and very little hard information on the ninfiniteFX.

Thanks,

Bode

Hi Bode,
It is vertex shader code. There should be a fair bit of documentation on this at the nvidia website (although perhaps not so useful for a beginner), and at other places on the web (try a search on google).

jimmi

Thanks Jimmi…

I see that the “vertex program” is the same as DX’s vertex shader…kinda confused me there Now I see how the vertex program macro’s are being used within openGL.

Does that mean that ‘texture shader’ and ‘pixel shader’ are also synonymous?

Thanks for the help,

Bode

Originally posted by jimmi:
[b]Hi Bode,
It is vertex shader code. There should be a fair bit of documentation on this at the nvidia website (although perhaps not so useful for a beginner), and at other places on the web (try a search on google).

jimmi[/b]

If you want to learn a bit more about pixel shaders, check out: http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q1/010227/geforce3-15.html

I have had discussions with someone who has written a book chapter on vertex/pixel programming. He found it very difficult to find good information on the subject. The nvidia website provides some examples and a few powerpoint slides - but it requires a fair bit of effort to get a full understanding. Good luck

jimmi

[This message has been edited by jimmi (edited 04-25-2002).]