opengl for XP

Hi, need help for running opengl in windows XP. I have a opengl assignment that i would like to code at home. My college labs run linux with glut and gcc, but how do i use open gl with windows? I have already dloaded glut but have no idea how to use it.
Also what other progs do i need?(as i do not have visual c++) preferably free downloads…
sorry i am totally n00b at this.

Hi !

You will need glut lib and dll files of course, as compiler you could use MinGW (www.mingw.org), this is the gcc compiler adapted to Win32, if you want an IDE to go with it, then you could get DevC++ http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
This is an IDE that includes the MinGW compiler.

You you are happy with C you could have a look at the LCC compiler (also free).

There are others to, but as you are used to Linux MinGW should be easy as it works very close to the ordinary gcc/g++ on Linux.

Mikael

Originally posted by fdgkdfg:
Hi, need help for running opengl in windows XP. I have a opengl assignment that i would like to code at home. My college labs run linux with glut and gcc, but how do i use open gl with windows? I have already dloaded glut but have no idea how to use it.
Also what other progs do i need?(as i do not have visual c++) preferably free downloads…
sorry i am totally n00b at this.

I think there are a number of free C compilers for windows. I am aware of at least 2 ports of gcc to Windows. One is named cygwin, the other I can’t remember at the moment. That could get you started.

thnx but how do i actually install glut in win XP?

copy the glut32.dll in your \windows\system32 directory.

this allows any program compiled using the glut library to use the glut32.dll

that is it. glut is “installed”.

then all u need is your compiler of choice, and link the glut32.lib library to your program (read compiler documentation on how to do this).

as for your compiler, and of the above would be file, probably MinGW because you will be porting it back to a linux machine and you will want your code to compile on the linux machines without any problems. (or maybe ask someone at your college if they can supply a student version of microsoft visual studio, they do at my uni ^_^)

good luck
–tristan