PDA

View Full Version : which z-values for glUnProject()?

10-14-2003, 03:38 AM
hi!

i hope someone can help me. this problem is worrying me for more than a week. i know there are a lot of posts about this subject and i really tried to find the answer to my problem but i didn't.

my program shows an object (data from an stl file). now i want to allow the user to zoom the object near and far (mousewheel). ok, this is no problem!

but i would be prefer this: the user clicks somewhere on the object and then the whole object moves in this way: the clicked point is moved to the center of the window. the zooming starts.

i don't know why this doesn't work, i will explain you how i'm trying to solve this.
(picking and selection works, i controlled this with another program)

Please correct me if my way is wrong:

1.) i render the object with the selection mode.
2.) i get the minimum z value from the selectBuf and want to use this z for the glUnProject(), but this is a real big number. i tried to scale it but i don't know how. the value (in GLdouble) has to be between 0.0 ans 1.0, i know. (if i scale with 100000000, i get something like 0.4)
or how can i scale it in another way?

or:
2.) i use glReadPixel() with my mouse coordinates to get the z value, it is always 1.0. also if in the selectBuf the value is different. using glUnProject() with 1.0 returns acceptable values, but the translation doesn't move the point to the center.

or:
2.) if use z=0.0, then i get very small values, almost no translation can be seen.

perhaps someone of you can help me,

thank you so much,

tanja

gvm
10-14-2003, 11:14 PM
i'm not quite shure, but maybe this could help you: http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/articles/article.asp?article=13
(nehe.gamedev.net article 13)

perhaps i could help you, if you will post or send(by mail) some code.

[This message has been edited by gvm (edited 10-15-2003).]

10-14-2003, 11:59 PM
hi gvm!

thank you for your help!
ok, i got it! sorry for posting here!

i found my solution some minutes before!

i don't delete this post, perhaps i'm not the only one with this beginner problem.

for those who may have the same problem:

i don't have to move my object, i just have to change the modelview matrix, by using
gluLookAt() with the clicked point coordinates (transfered in world coordinates) as new center.

it's really easy, no idea why i was thinking so wrong! for more than a week!?

greetings,

tanja