Few questions for a demo in progress

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to produce a gun flare/flash effect and a laser effect? Also if I am modelling a robot/mech with less than say 40 objects, should I really worry about occlusion testing? Really would appreciate any ideas, thanks.

>I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to produce a gun flare/flash effect and a laser effect? Also if I am modelling a robot/mech with less than say 40 objects, should I really worry about occlusion testing? Really would appreciate any ideas, thanks.

Gun flare and flash effect could be animating sprites.

By 40 objects, I’m guessing that these are 40 low poly objects? If so, nah I wouldn’t worry about occlusion testing. If we’re talking about 1,000 polygons per object, then that’s a different story.

-vatoloco

The following old post contains a link to a website that details how to draw laser-like effects using textured quads : http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/005190.html

Hey!!! Have U ever heard about AVI !!!
U can do COOL effects playing AVI in openGL! U may mail me, i’ll give U link to NeHe (The Greatest OGL Lessons!)