View Full Version : Strange performance issue...

04-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Hello, I've noticed a strange performance issue. When my program runs in full screen mode, it runs very slowly and has poor responsiveness. This happens when I use glutFullScreen() or glutInitWindowSize(1024,768), with my monitor resolutions set to 1024x768.

If I set the window size to 1025x769 or 1023x767, the program is nice and fast and snappy. Why does it give me crappy performance only with 1024x768/glutFullScreen()? :confused:

04-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Hi !

What kind of video hardware are you using ?

It might be because you use fullscreen mode, use glGetString in your rendering callback to see if it switches to software rendering in fullscreen mode or something like that.

04-14-2005, 05:54 AM
My video card is an nVidia GeForce FX 5200, I'm running Linux as my OS.

I guess I would want GL_RENDERER, for glGetString()? I'll try it later today.

04-14-2005, 06:23 AM
I was cleaning up some other code and the bug seems to be fixed: I was loading an OBJ file and I had only intended to load the first texture file referenced in the model file... but it seems I was actually loading a new texture file for every "usemat" in the file... meaning I loaded the same large texture file >50 times! so after I fixed that, the program ran much better in full screen and no longer consumes tonnes of RAM or pages madly... lol!

but I still don't get why loading that many textures ONLY affected full-screen performance... :confused: