OpenML and OpenAL

What is OpenML and OpenAL. The only clue I have is that it’s OpenGL’s answer to DirectSound, DirectInput, etc.

they’re not an OpenGL’s response!!!

OpenGL is not a company, but rather an API (set of functions).

OpenAL is another API, used for 3d sounds… except i haven’t really seen a card that has hardware acceleration for it, and the api is pretty crappy in my opinion.

I don’t think they’re from the same company too… use FMOD or BASS (other sound APIs)… they’re better and super easy to use!

>>OpenAL is another API, used for 3d sounds… except i haven’t really seen a card that has hardware acceleration for it, and the api is pretty crappy in my opinion<<

as openal on windows uses directsound r u saying u havent seen a card that doesnt support acceleration for dsound .

i have a question (info wasnt in the openml whitepaper) is openal + openml in anyway connected ie will openal become part of openml

Possible Zed, though it will probably be re-written. I was reading the new OpenML paper thats just been released, and theres a line in it, under the high definition pixel quality, about it being for films not games. If this is true, it’s kinda dissapointing, as I was hoping, that games could use it as an alternative to DirectSound, DirectInput, DirectPlay etc etc… plus being fully cross platform, alot of the usually platform dependant stuff, could become platform independant using it.

have to wait and see.

Nutty

>>about it being for films not games. If this is true, it’s kinda dissapointing<<

the films of today are the games of tommorrow.
the same thing was said when opengl came out requiring 3dhardware to run decently. ‘whos can afford 3dhardware’ today evreyone. i say with openml aim as high as possible. dont take the directX method

I suppose you’re right.