total newbie

I am trying to learn OpenGL, I really have no clue what im doing, I read the post before this and I am well educated in math, I am currently half way through a Pre-Calc course, I don’t actually “know” the C++ language, but have successfully used the visual extensions to make programs in BCPPB (Borland C++ Builder). I know BASIC very very well and Pascal quite well as well, so it might help to explain things in terms of if I encounter any problems learning in C++. I am willing to work for it and I am a fast learner, once I grasp the idea I won’t let it go again. My starting project might be a little difficult but that is what I would like to shoot for. I would like to make a 3D real time program where you can draw 3D objects and freely move and rotate your camera. It doesn’t need more than 1 color and no texturing is needed, just wireframe. It needs to be able to save the 3d models made, and restore them for future editing. Can anyone get me started on this please?

hi,
look at http://nehe.gamedev.net/

there is an great tutorial section where you should find what you are searching

cheers and happy new year

Originally posted by Fission:
I am trying to learn OpenGL, I really have no clue what im doing, I read the post before this and I am well educated in math, I am currently half way through a Pre-Calc course, I don’t actually “know” the C++ language, but have successfully used the visual extensions to make programs in BCPPB (Borland C++ Builder). I know BASIC very very well and Pascal quite well as well, so it might help to explain things in terms of if I encounter any problems learning in C++. I am willing to work for it and I am a fast learner, once I grasp the idea I won’t let it go again. My starting project might be a little difficult but that is what I would like to shoot for. I would like to make a 3D real time program where you can draw 3D objects and freely move and rotate your camera. It doesn’t need more than 1 color and no texturing is needed, just wireframe. It needs to be able to save the 3d models made, and restore them for future editing. Can anyone get me started on this please?

I’m interested, but isn’t it too difficult for newbies. Maybe more simpler project?

I’m game if you are. I intend to break it down into smaller parts. I am quickly picking up on C++, my one huge hold back right now is getting down the types of variables (im used to my little limited and easy to use BASIC world, I just need to learn the conversions), and I also need to understand how units and headers and resource files and projects and such work together, that sort of thing irritates me. I would have had C++ down a long time ago if I had only realized how to make C++ Builder run just a plain ol’ C++ file, but it kept trying to include it in a form based project, I “think” I get it now. Right now my current task at hand is writing out on my own OpenGL screen initialization code, once I get things to work nicely (I intend to run it windowed) I’m going to establish a main menu (which will be a snap in BCPPB) and then begin a setup menu and enable myself to change color resolution and depth from it. Then once we can initialize things, we are on to drawing lines. So on and so forth. I’m not really lookin for a partner in this, just someone far more experienced when I sware randomly about seemingly unjustified error messages - that sort of thing.

From what you said, go to http://nehe.gamedev.net/ like MofuX
suggested. The first lesson(maybe) is how to initialize OpenGL scene and some basic things. Good luck!