this might be obviouse to you but I don't get it

here is the reshape funcion I have, I know it works but I just dont understand how??

void reshape(int w, int h)
{
glPushMatrix();
glViewport(0, 0, (GLsizei)w, (GLsizei)h) ;
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION) ;
glLoadIdentity() ;
gluPerspective(45, (GLfloat)w/(GLfloat)h, 0.1, 100.0) ;
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW) ;
glLoadIdentity() ;
glPopMatrix();
}

in the entire program, this is the only place where gluPerspective appears and sets the matrix in perspective mode, but below that line there is glLoadIdentity, which resets the matrix, then theres glPopMatrix, which pops the matrix stored at the beginning of reshape function, so howcome when I enter the display function and draw something:

void display(void)
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT );
glLoadIdentity();

glRotatef(g_lookupdown,1.0f,0,0); //look up and down
glRotatef(sceneroty,0,1.0f,0); //look side to side
glTranslatef(xtrans, ytrans, ztrans); //moving all directions

glTranslatef(0,0,-5.0) ;
glColor4f(1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0);
glutWireCube(1);

glutSwapBuffers();

they are in perspective mode and not reset??

I also need better explaination of
and
those tutorials and documents do not explain enough and I think understanding these will explain my question above. I know these store the matrix configuation made by the lines of code above it, but when and how are they “popped” back into effect?

How does GL_PROJECTION and GL_MODELVIEW differ and can I just use one in the reshape function and not the other? how does that change the way my objects look?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

the reason why the code works is because you are pushin/popping and applying gluPerspective to different matricies.

Assuming your matrix mode is GL_MODELVIEW when reshape() is called, then;

glPushMatrix();

pushes the modelview matrix

changes to projection matrix

glLoadIdentity() ;

sets the projection matrix to I

sets the projection matrix to I * perspective

chnages BACK to modelview

glLoadIdentity() ;

sets modelview matrix to idenity

glPopMatrix();

and pops the modelview matrix.

The only thing wrong with that code is you’re pushing an identity onto the stack, and then popping it off again, so it all has no effect. (You probably want to axe the push/pop commands in the reshape function)

cheers,
John

void reshape(int w, int h)
{
glViewport(0, 0, (GLsizei)w, (GLsizei)h) ;
glLoadIdentity() ;
glLoadIdentity() ;
}
Hi
You were right, without the pushMatrix and popMatrix it works just the same,so then without the push and pop, when I am drawing my cubes, what mode am I in?, GL_PROJECTION? or GL_MODELVIEW?
since the perspective is applied to GL_PROJECTION(stated in above post), I must be in GL_PROJECTION since my cubes are in perspective, correct? Then does that make the call to glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW) useless? Also, what exactly does glLoadIdentity do? I thought it just resets everything to default, but my cubes are in perspective. Did I somehow set the default to perspective in the lines above? because the last line of the reshape function is glLoadIdentity().

You don’t seem to understand the OpenGL matrix functionality.

When you call a matrix generation function (gluLookAt, gluPerspective, glRotate, glPushMatrix), it operates on the current matrix stack. You have 3 matrix stacks: GL_MODELVIEW, GL_PROJECTION, and GL_TEXTURE.

When your geometry is transformed and rendered, the first thing that happens is that the GL_MODELVIEW matrix is applied to it. Then, the GL_PROJECTION matrix is applied to the results. It doesn’t matter what glMatrixMode is; this is how geometry is transformed.

The current matrix mode after leaving this function is GL_MODELVIEW. Since matrix mode is global, I would suggest making sure that all functions, upon exiting, make sure that the matrix mode is GL_MODELVIEW. Basically, any function (like this one) where the matrix mode is changed should restore the matrix mode to GL_MODELVIEW.

thank you, that cleared things up. So I just called up the projection matrix just to alter it, same goes to the modelview matrix, but they are always affecting the way my objects are projected onto the screen. Now that makes much more sense.

//changes to projection matrix>>request to modify projection matrix

glLoadIdentity() ;

//sets the projection matrix to I>> resets projection matrix to default projection matrix

//sets the projection matrix to I * perspective>>adds perspective to projection matrix

//chnages BACK to modelview>>request to modify modelview matrix

glLoadIdentity() ;

//sets modelview matrix to idenity>>resets the modelview matrix to default modelview matrix

so now any rotation or translation commands are altering the modelview matrix, and that is why my cubes are in perspective!!!

Why George, I think he’s got it!!!

This has been most EDUCATIONAL!!!
thanks everyone for your help