ASE Loading Help, PLEASE =)

I’ve been reading through alot of the archives here, and looking at lots of examples of code, and been having problems actually finding any real help, so here goes!

All I need is a .ASE loader, that handles textures. Nothing with lighting, nothing with materials, nothing fancy, nothing faster than the speed of sound, nothing USING MFC!!!

I’ve looked around on wotsit.org also, and they don’t list any .ASE format information as a lot of these past posts have stated. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Oliver.

Well, there could be multiple materials in each .ASE file…each material being assigned to any of the various geometry surfaces contained in the file ( there can be one or more of these ). And each material presumable has one ( possibly more ) images applied to it…

So, do you just need to get a list of images specified by the file…without regard for which material it may correspond to…and without regard for which materials are applied to a given geometry surface?

I didn’t even know that much, but yes I’d need to get all of the material information, all of the texture information, and all of the which-material-is-applied-to-what information. I do not need any lighting information, camera information, etc.

Thank you very much, any help is really appreciated… I’ve been deadlocked on models for about 3 weeks now =

Is it ok to e-mail you regarding this issue?

Absolutely!!!

ASE is very simple…but i remember me searching for something useful for handling ASE in net and i didn’t find

the only one i got was going through each object in the scene doing so many sprintf’s to find single word everytime starting from the beginning of the file…
if u wan’t i’ll send you my which is correct and fast - that’s important cause ASE are big files…

and u should know 3DSMAX makes lot’s of bugs when saving ASE’s, like wrong normal vectors etc…

[This message has been edited by MickeyMouse (edited 03-12-2002).]

Hello!

Maybe the best way to start is to create any simple object (with textures or anything you need…) in 3DSMAX, export it as an ASE file and afterwards open the file with a text editor and learn what everything means.

OK, I will help you with some tags…

*MATERIAL_LIST {
All materials are defined in here.
}

*GEOMOBJECT {
A 3DSMAX Object, of course…

*MESH_VERTEX_LIST {
All the vertexs in this object are defined in here.
}

*MESH_FACE_LIST {
All the faces in this object are defined in here. The face vertexs are referenced (indexed) to the ones in the list above.
The first face could be:
*MESH_FACE 0: A: 0 B: 2 C: 3 AB: 1 BC: 1 CA: 0 *MESH_SMOOTHING 2 *MESH_MTLID 1

*MESH_MTLID is the material identifier that makes reference to the material list above.
}

*MESH_TVERTLIST {
A list of texture coordinates.
}

*MESH_TFACELIST {
All the faces in this object with texture coordinates. The face coords are referenced (indexed) to the ones in the list above (as happened with the vertexs coordinates).
}

and other things…

}

Once you have understood the file format you will be able to make a loader. It’s very easy.

Good luck,
-nemesis-

Try www.gametutorials.com i think there is some good docs on .ASE

/Tandy

Thanks alot for your help everyone, I got a loader working just fine now!

[b] and u should know 3DSMAX makes lot’s of bugs when saving ASE’s, like wrong normal vectors etc…

[/b]

nope… no errors, just that verticex are saved in worldspace coords, and normals in localspace, just apply the inverse of the geoms rotation on the normals and it would be fine.