coversion from one platform to another

hi ppl… i was just thinkin of developing a 3d generator as a part of my fourth year project!!! i am familiar wid ucing c++ in windows environmnt… but i want to create the application for UNIX enviroment… is there ne way dat i can develop it on windows nd latr convert it into unix…jst thinking…

hope to get sum help out here…

I believe there’s no easy way to have X11 specific functionalities and Win32 specific functionalities in the same code.
The only simple way is to use GLUT or SDL. They abstract away most OS-specific messages you need for simple applications. For more complex things you may or may not find them a bit behind a native code.

Originally posted by jack_2060:
hi ppl… i was just thinkin of developing a 3d generator as a part of my fourth year project!!!
That’s great but I suggest you first check your teachers for their HW support. It is a well-known fact here most accademic people still think GPUs are “just for games”. You may find multigigahertz multi-gpu linked up with an integrated video card… that would be bad!

Originally posted by jack_2060 (roughtly):
i am familiar with using c++ in windows environment… but i want to create the application for UNIX enviroment… is there ne way that i can develop it on windows and later convert it into unix…just thinking…
Well, for GL however that’s easier than you may think. Pop up the window in a OS-specific way then look for WM_CHAR on windows and check DirectInput. Do all your development. Port the windowing API to X11. Take care, plain X11 seems to be lacking things like DirectInput and you’ll have to go thuru the ‘char’ message (I don’t remember how it’s called now).