shell error when running opengl program

Hello!

I’m pretty new to writing opengl programs. I’ve sucessfully compiled and run a series of small “newbie” programs. Every opengl program I write spits out the following error in the shell window I launch the executable:

Xlib: extension “XFree86-DRI” missing on display “:0.0”.

The program then proceeds to run successfully in the X Window spawned by the program.

I’m running Red Hat Linux 9.0 on a PIII with a Diamond Viper 770 graphics card.

Any ideas what this error means and how to fix it?

Thanks for any help!

Well, you need to look into the XFree86 manual, or config file (etc/X11/XF86Config (maybe XF86Config-4 on some systems), and look through it. I think there’s a section in the bottom which defines the DRI module. Remember to enable the glx module also.

I run RedHat 9.0 and have not seen that problem. Could be a screen setting issue or mabye a DRI driver issue with your video card.

Originally posted by sandrik:
[b]Hello!

I’m pretty new to writing opengl programs. I’ve sucessfully compiled and run a series of small “newbie” programs. Every opengl program I write spits out the following error in the shell window I launch the executable:

Xlib: extension “XFree86-DRI” missing on display “:0.0”.

The program then proceeds to run successfully in the X Window spawned by the program.

I’m running Red Hat Linux 9.0 on a PIII with a Diamond Viper 770 graphics card.

Any ideas what this error means and how to fix it?

Thanks for any help![/b]

I thinks that DRI has something to do with hardware accelaration (but I could me very wrong). Try to find the proper drivers for your video card and make sure hardware accelaration is enabled. (e.g. with Sax in SuSE). Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I checked my /etc/X11/XF86Config file. At the bottom there is a section called DRI. This is what my settings are:

Section “DRI”
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

For a wild guess, i think you’re card does not support hardware accelleration, however, you should comment out the DRI lines you found, and install MesaLIb. I think there’s an RPM for that. I’ve not used redhat since 6.2, so i’m a bit outdated on how the system works.