Scrolling textures

I have a texture on a single quad, which is repeated across the surface of the quad.

I want to scroll the texture across the surface of the quad (for a background in a 2D game), but I can’t work out how to manipulate the texture coordinates correctly.

Anyone got any examples or suggestions?

Cheers…

Hi,

Scrolling is very simple.
For example if You want to scroll the texture with X coordinates You have to change the lower coordinates from 0.0f to 1.0f and higher from tex_count to texcount+1.0f.

Here is some source of code:

while (game_is_running)
{
for (float i = 0.0f; i < 1.0f; i += 0.05f)
{
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texArray[id])
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glTexCoord2f(i, 0); glVertex2f(x1, y1);
glTexCoord2f(i, ycount); glVertex2f(x1, y2);
glTexCoord2f(xcount + i, ycount); glVertex2f(x2, y2);
glTexCoord2f(xcount + i, 0); glVertex2f(x2, y1);
glEnd();
}

}

This is backward scrolling, there might be some mistakes cause I writted it online but I think You’ll manage to fix it and use it.

Cheers,
yaro

This works fine if you have few vertices. Another way to do this is to change MatrixMode to TEXTURE and do some rotate/translate as you want.

This will affect all the vertices without the need to update them. Unluckly, some video cards (up to GeForce1 I guess) will not like this and will give you less performance.

For what you need to do, I guess glYaro got the best idea, however the thing I’ve said will probably come in handy in the future…

Will you show us your work? I would like to play it a bit!

EDIT: ah, remember to go back to identity matrix for TEXTURE and to MatrixMode MODELVIEW or averything will be messed up…

[This message has been edited by Obli (edited 05-10-2003).]

Thanks guys

Both solutions work well.

Will you show us your work? I would like to play it a bit!

Absolutely It may take a while, but when I have a nice finished product I will be sure to post a link.