GLUT? I don't want it

I just want to use “gl” and “glu” functions, but I can’t find a tutorial not using GLUT or GLAUX.

Who can help me?

If you use MFC you can have a peek at www.codeguru.com, the NeHe tutorials are available in a few different version that does not use glut, and with google you can find even more of them.

Mikael

Depends on what language you are using and what binding blah blah blah. But i know there are non glut C# and Java bindings out there (i use them both). If you are using C/C++ MFC is the way to go.

http://glfw.sourceforge.net/tutorials/tutorials.html

…for GLFW, which is not GLUT

FYI, GLFW is very portable, has an intuitive open (user designed) event loop, excellent fullscreen, input and timer support (etc). I’ve never seen any toolkit or API with as good input & timer support (even exceeds that of the Win32 API in certain aspects!).

[This message has been edited by marcus256 (edited 11-05-2003).]

on linux MFC is not the right thing ;-), there you would choose motif/xlib, or maybe qt, which also works under windows (might be the best anyway?).

Use SDL!

I’m using CPW for my latest project, and it’s working perfectly. It handles all of my input, lets me create multiple windows, and even handles fullscreen with ease
http://www.mathies.com/cpw/

Does SDL do dialog/message boxes? I’m trying to get away from Win32. My current option is to go GLUT/GLUI, but if SDL does this I may give it a look.

Originally posted by starman:
Does SDL do dialog/message boxes? I’m trying to get away from Win32. My current option is to go GLUT/GLUI, but if SDL does this I may give it a look.

SDL is a multimedia library not a GUI toolkit. It handles configuring OpenGL contexts, sound, input, etc. I’ve used SDL and I really like it.

GUI toolkits make user interfaces easier to code (stuff like menus, toolbars, dialogs, etc.)

You can do all your menus, buttons, dialogs, etc with just OpenGL but it’s a lot more work. Have a look at Blender - it’s entirely done in OpenGL. No MFC or anything.

If you want to move away from Win32 then you probably want to use a multimedia library with a GUI toolkit. Or you can just use a GUI toolkit that supports OpenGL.

I’ve just started coding in wxWindows (under Linux) which is a GUI toolkit but also has OpenGL support. So far so good. wxWindows is also cross platform so I can always port my code across to Win32 one day if I need/want to.

I stay as far away as possible from poorly written or poorly supported libraries like GLUT, plib, etc.

Paul

I stay as far away as possible from poorly written or poorly supported libraries like GLUT, plib, etc.

Does this include freeglut? It’s been opensourced on sourceforge and has recent versions available. It’s hard to beat the ease of GLUT, especially for the simple simulations I’m writing.