PDA

View Full Version : 3D scrolling

tenasken
05-23-2002, 01:54 PM
Hi,
Can someone point me in the right direction towards building a 3D scrolling app? I know that I should be able to do this from the programming guide, but I'm getting anxious, and making cubes spin is fun(lol) but I want to be able to "walk around" the shapes I'm making. I am polishing up on my algebra, but can someone give me a hint? Or perhaps point me to a relevent chapter in the Red Book? I know that "motion = redraw + swap", but how can I make it so that I can "walk up" to my spinning cube, tetrahedron, etc?
Should I use gluPerspective(), glOrtho(), or glFrustum(), and somehow get the glutSwapBuffer() function to perform the redraws? Unngh, I'm so lost.
Thanks for any assistence.

AsylumX
05-23-2002, 07:03 PM
I'm pretty new to OpenGL but from what I understand, using gluLookAt() would be ideal for this kind of application. As for a viewing plane, I would recommend gluPerspective because it is relatively easy to set up. Just remember to translate your objects into the viewing area, because they will start "behind" you! Hope something I said helps

-AsylumX

tenasken
05-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Thanks, I'm gonna look into that now. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/cool.gif