Polygon Antialiasing?

Im trying to enable polygon antialiasing, using glEnable(GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH) and with the nicest hint for polygon smooth. But the object gets messes up, and the frame rate drops tooooooooo much. i cant even close the window. any ideas?

I tried useing the Software Antialasion, i was dissapointed, there is to much performance drop in it, just assume that if your hardware dosent have it, then you cant use it. least thats my experiance.

I have a gf2 mx, and it fully supports fsaa of course, but i cant make it in gl. i managed to make gl_line_smooth, but not polygon smoothing. the frame rate drops tooo much. lol, possibly, below 0!

i dont know if the gefroce2 supports it in hardware (the tnt2 doesnt) but u could try fullscreen antialiasing with the ARB_MULTISAMPLE extension

GeForce 2 can support multisample in NV20-emulation mode, but not in hardware (expect it to be slow).

Turning on GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH is not the way to enable the FSAA you want. Polygon Smooth is a form of FSAA, but it is very slow and requires you to enable appropriate blend modes and sort polygons from back to front.

I think GeForces have an extension that allows them to turn on supersample antialiasing, but you can certainly do it from the Display Properties dialog.

Line antialiasing is pretty fast (compared to polygon antialiasing). I guess, its runs in hardware even on my TNT. You could draw each edge of your polygons again as lines with antialiasing enabled (with lighting and texturing still turned on, so that the color matches the polygon color). But do that after you painted all polygons, because the AA aliases the lines to the current background color.

But I think, for big scenes it will still be too slow…

[This message has been edited by Kilam Malik (edited 06-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kilam Malik (edited 06-26-2001).]

question to zed:

Ho can i turn on FSAA with the ARB_MULTISAMPLE extension ??

Originally posted by zed:
i dont know if the gefroce2 supports it in hardware (the tnt2 doesnt) but u could try fullscreen antialiasing with the ARB_MULTISAMPLE extension

How can i turn on FSAA with the ARB_MULTISAMPLE extension ??

no idea ive only got a tnt2 (i believe when u create your window u have to ask for it) perhaps theres an example on the nvida site or on toms site www.delphi3d.net