Confused Newbie is here

Hello I’m new I don’t know if I should start on OpenGl, I’m starting to learn C or C++ to make games(plus I don’t know anyware that has a forum about C or C++…) and I want to mak 3D games.

How hard is OpenGL? Should I drop C and start on this?

You’ll need to know C/C++ in order to use OpenGL, so definitely keep up learning that. Technically, you could learn other languages that support OpenGL as well, but C/C++ are the most common ones used.

You should probably have a pretty good understanding of C/C++ before attempting to learn OpenGL. It will make learning OpenGL so much easier if you already understand the basic concepts of programming with C/C++.

is Open Gl more like C++ then C? If so should I start on C++?

C/C++ are programming languages vs. OpenGL which is a library of routines for drawing 3D graphincs.

You use a language like C/C++ to create a working program that uses openGL for the 3D routines.

Now the OpenGL library is written in C, but does not limit is use to only C.

I think that most game writer use C++, but you can mix the two since C is the base in which C++ was born from.

but also you find that OpenGL functions can also be called under Visual Basic, Delphi, Java, etc.

I think a little background of C would be good, but some say it is better just to go ahead and learn C++.

Originally posted by Budgiekarl:
is Open Gl more like C++ then C? If so should I start on C++?

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 04-14-2003).]

I do I know when I learned anuf to start useing?

Once you learn how to use what ever C/C++ compiler, then go somewhere like nehe.gamedev.net and try doing the tutors starting at the simple ones first.

You can learn both C/C++ at the same time, maybe even help because it will be fun.

I do I know when I learned anuf to start useing?

Thanks, I want to nehe.gamedev.net and I was saddend becuz’ he uses Visual C++ and I use Dev-Cpp I like Dev-Cpp for the nice interface and over all I like it better.

Where another place?

I found a place(for C++), I’m going to learn C++ instad of C

C++ is a superset of C so you can’t avoid C. And, you would be much better off learning C straight out and then building on that knowledge with C++, but I’m probably just talking to myself… mumble… mumble…

nehe is slowly adding DEV-C++ examples for his tutors look at the bottom of each lesson most now have a DEV-C++ version 1-6 I know have one.
(Remember you have to scroll down to the bottom of the web page to see other ports of the examples)

I personally use DEV-C++ and have some tip’s and code that will compile on my website.

www.angelfire.com/linux/nexusone/

[b]Thanks, I want to nehe.gamedev.net and I was saddend becuz’ he uses Visual C++ and I use Dev-Cpp I like Dev-Cpp for the nice interface and over all I like it better.

Where another place?[/b]

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 04-14-2003).]

Some understanding of Win32 programming can be helpful if you are developing on Windows. Even if you use glut to create your windows, it will help you to understand how glut works if you understand how it is using the window events underneath.

I found a place(for C++), I’m going to learn C++ instad of C

Hey some knowlegde of C is indeed very hepful, OpenGl calls are standard C calls
and well , just don´t give up on C.

[This message has been edited by raverbach (edited 04-15-2003).]

C rlz !!!