texture brightness

I’ve got this model which I’ve textured, and it looks ok with lighting disabled. Next thing is to light the model. I actually know already how bright each polygon needs to be, so there’s no necessity to specify light source and normals.

Can I tell GL how bright each polygon is meant to be directly or do I need to establish a lighting framework?

hi.

if you would like to use lighting then it’s IMERATIVE that you supply normals (if i am not mistaken). if you don’t feel comfortable with this then it’s a good chance to start. but, if you are determined not to use normals, the only solution i can think of is to add a light map to your object and blend it with the object’s texture using multitexturing.

I think I can specify ambient light only, and then set the material properties to be variously reflective. The question is, do I want to do
glEnable(GL_COLOR_MATERIAL);
glColor3f(-,-,-);

or will this remove the texturing?

if you dont need the opengl lightin( you calculate the light yourself) then just use glColorf(r,g,b); and turn off lighting.

Originally posted by Mazy:
if you dont need the opengl lightin( you calculate the light yourself) then just use glColorf(r,g,b); and turn off lighting.

oooh! that’s great. How does gl blend the glColor with the colour of the texture then?