Getting started

I’m trying to get started with openGL. I’ve gone to opengl.org, and tried to follow every link hinting at leading to an SDK, and have been entirely unsuccessful. The only place I find any header files on my system is in my cygwin directory.

Where can I get the latest openGL 1.4 development files (headers, libraries, etc) for Windows 2000?

Thanks in advance for any help

There is no real openGL SDK so to speak of, since openGL library’s are created by the OS maker and video card makers.

Most compilers have openGL library’s included with them, except of maybe GLUT.

Another free compiler is DEV-C++ which comes with all the openGL library’s needed to start programming.

I don’t know cygwin, but check and see I bet they it has the base openGL library’s installed.

look in /lib/ directory for the following:
opengl32.lib or libopengl32.a
glu32.lib or libglu32.a
glut32.lib or libglut32.a

in the /include/GL/ directory for the following:
gl.h
glu.h
glut.h
glext.h
glaux.h

Note because the openGL version for windows is controlled by Microsoft, you will not find opengl headers for 1.4, what you have to do is use extensions.
Now the two big video card makers have support for 1.4 in their video drivers, just make sure you have the latest openGL drivers for you video card.

If you look through this forum and the openGL game development sites, you will find out how to use extension to access 1.4 features in windows.

Originally posted by Kurilla:
[b]I’m trying to get started with openGL. I’ve gone to opengl.org, and tried to follow every link hinting at leading to an SDK, and have been entirely unsuccessful. The only place I find any header files on my system is in my cygwin directory.

Where can I get the latest openGL 1.4 development files (headers, libraries, etc) for Windows 2000?

Thanks in advance for any help[/b]

You may find this link informative: http://hem.passagen.se/opengl/getstarted

There are OpenGL 1.4 compatible include files (in the “GL Includes” section), but as nexusone said, you need to treat all OpenGL versions > 1.1 as extensions (at least under Windows). I would suggest that you do not care too much about OpenGL 1.4 features in the beginning. OpenGL 1.1 is the foundation that you need to master (geometry, lighting, texturing, blending etc). When you want to go to more advanced effects and functionality (multi texturing etc), it’s time to learn how to use newer OpenGL versions and extensions.

Also, you can find some basic tutorials here: http://glfw.sourceforge.net/tutorials/tutorials.html

[This message has been edited by marcus256 (edited 05-22-2003).]

It’s been a long while since I touched MS Windows for development, but I seem to recall that everything you need comes with your copy of their “Visual C++” product.

You may find getting started with OpenGL easier with something like Redhat linux (though, note that RH9’s included glut doesn’t work).

I suggest linux also because you mention cygwin in your original post.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll follow up on them asap. If I have any more questions, I’ll stop by here.

Thanks again…