Large Scaled Distances appearing (Solar System Model)

We’re having trouble with our OpenGL Solar System model. Right now the sun isn’t visable at distances of 5300 (it is a sphere of radius 327). We want to make everything to scale, and at this scale one AU(distance from Earth to the Sun) is about 70,000. How can we make it so that it will make the Sun visable (as small as it may be) at long distances?

Sounds like it may be going behind the far clip plane. Try moving that back.

Originally posted by Kircher:
How can we make it so that it will make the Sun visable (as small as it may be) at long distances?

Two years ago I made our solar system as well. My intention was to have all objects to scale as well as distances. However I didn’t full appreciate the vast (understatement!) distances between celestial objects relative to their sizes when I started. When I was near any planet everything else was just a pixel or less. In the end I thought up two options:

a) Use a texture of the sun that always faces the user. Implementing lens flares would help point out the white circle is the sun.

b) Shape the sun like a hot dog weiner. It will reflects the sun’s the width but not the height. Not authentic but at least you see something.