glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE); and TRIANGLE_STRIP

I am having a problem with hidden surface removal using glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE) for TRIANGLE_STRIPS. In the manual I read that the STRIPS will be written in the counterclockwise manner so that hidden surfaces are enabled (automatically), but when I draw a bunch of hills using triangles for flight simulation I only get half of them to be culled right. Is this automatic drawing feature not implemented in OpenGL???

the first 3 points are the first triangle.
draw them counter clockwise. the next point will be combined !with the last 2 ones!. the triangle will be drawn correctly (counter clockwise), because the opengl-programmers are smart^^

who dont you try glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST) and then use glClear(GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT)

The winding order of triangle strips goes something like this. Assume you have a strip that looks like so:

1—3—5
| / | / |
2—4—6

Doing a triangle strip with

Is equiavlent to doing individual triangles like so:

Notice how the vertices get flipped around? That is so that they can easily all keep the same winding order

Originally posted by mdog1234:
who dont you try glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST) and then use glClear(GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT)

I have tried this but I get a screen in which all the objects are distored. I think I am unclear where to put the glClear(GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT)and if it needs to be cleared before every swapbuffers.