View Full Version : Changing resolution

05-11-2000, 12:52 AM
Hello all,

How do I change the desktop resoltion in glut? I need to change the resolution (say to 800 x 600) and then go into full screen mode.

I know how to create a window of any size and I also know how to go into full screen mode.

Hope you can help

05-11-2000, 01:59 AM
You can't do this in GLUT. You'll need to use the Win32 API and call ChangeDisplaySettings.

05-11-2000, 04:55 AM
Thanks, that seems to work.

Using ChangeDisplaySettings in Glut does work but are there any issues with this that I need to be aware of? It works on my machine (Win98 RivaTNT), would this work in Windows NT, or are there any compatability problems between Glut and Win32 API?

05-11-2000, 07:53 AM
Sure it does work with glut, but it's not a part of glut or OpenGL, so it'll make your code less portable.

Michael Steinberg
05-11-2000, 11:32 AM
Don't know for sure (I think it should work on all Win32 platforms) but these portability questions are mostly well answered in the online help of my MSDN copy.

BTW: WinNT and Win98 have multi-screen support, I think. But the ChangeDisplaySettings code should work as well, at least it does for me.

Oh and why does EnumDisplaySettings sometimes return more or less valid graphic modes?