lib3ds

I downloaded and compiled the lib3ds library and when I run the test program included (player.c)… it seems every 3ds file returns an error about a missing camera… I would think maybe the 3ds files weren’t exported correctly or something but I’ve tried 5 different 3ds files from turbosquid and every single one says there is no camera in the scene… Is there a way around this camera problem?

2 Things:

1. You don’t need a camera to load a 3ds file, so I can’t imagine why a 3ds loader would demand one (just plain silly). :confused:

2. Create your own 3ds models in 3d studio and save them out in the proper format (expensive and ridiculous, over the top). :stuck_out_tongue:

3. Write your own 3ds loader (easy and fun). cool:

The problem with 3ds files, to my mind, is that there aren’t any animations in them!

Originally posted by <raven>:
[b] 2 Things:

1. You don’t need a camera to load a 3ds file, so I can’t imagine why a 3ds loader would demand one (just plain silly). :confused: [/b]
    I agree… but that’s how lib3ds is written

2) Write your own 3ds loader (easy and fun). cool:

That seems a little silly to me when there is a library made for exactly this purpose… but who knows… If I decide to write my own loader it will almost definitely be in md3 format

“That seems a little silly to me when there is a library made for exactly this purpose”

Silly? Why, it’s not silly at all! Do you want to load 3ds files or not? You want something done right… do it yourself. It’ll take you all of a few hours to slap together a static mesh loader (you have the source right in front of you, AND there’s no danger of running into files with animations in them).

I won’t even ask you what this has to do with OpenGL. I’m just trying to help you out. Give you the benefit of my hard earned experience…

Maybe I’ll go mow the lawn now :frowning:

This concerns this forum in no points at all.

You have the sources of player.c, so modify them so that it does not require a camera, that is as simple as that.

Model loading is an important aspect of any 3D animation programmer’s repertoire. The point is that it’s not difficult to do. There are several well written specs on the 3DS file format, in addition to several open-source loaders. Just roll up you sleeves and get to work! :smiley:

Nothing like a freshly mowed lawn. Ah, the smell of it… sniff.