The first one

Dear programmers,
I’ve set up a quite good OpenGL environment on my PC (MingW 3.4.2, Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2…, lots of devpaks)
Now I’d like to really start programming. Could you please give me some ideas what my first project should be? A spaceshooter game? Or maybe a complete realtime strategy???
(I’m new only at OpenGL, I’ve programmed in Pascal/C++ before)

Thanks in advance

Maybe you want to take shorter steps (otherwise one might loose fun and end up with nothing)

try nehe.gamedev.net to get into the opengl material or grab a copy of some book about opengl

Also you mean a simple breakout clone or 2D-tetris? Or maybe a VERY SMALL program, like only a spinning object in 3D?

I’d say start with a mesh loader/viewer.

1. You’ll need the code in whatever game you’re going to write anyway, since modeling packages are many times more productive than C/C++ code for modeling.
  2. you’ll learn just about everything you need to know about what makes a character “move”.
  3. you’ll have a cool meshviewer to show off to your friends.

Could you please explain me what you mean with that mesh loader? Maybe a 3D object loader in that you can change the viewpoint etc…? On the other hand, it’s not a bad idea!

Thanx
Viktor Erdélyi

Yep!

Yeah, I’ve been programming OpenGL for 2-3 years and I still haven’t looked for a decent 3ds loader. So starting by that should make you really efficient.

Thanx Everybody
Viktor Erdélyi

Originally posted by ViKt0r Erdelyi:
Now I’d like to really start programming. Could you please give me some ideas what my first project should be?Thanks in advance
It’s on to you to do anything. but i suggest you to study the book: OpenGL A PRIMER by EDWARD ANGEL. First of all, you should have a good background about most of the OpenGL functions and important concepts…
Good Luck
-Ehsan-