uploading textures

Hi,
I want to add some texture to my polygon.
So far I did not come across any tutorial that speaks of uploading a texture from some place…they only talk of binding it to objects.
Could some one direct me to a link, or give me an example of uploading a texture file.
I am wondering what kind of file (by which i mean in which format) does the file need to be…

Thanks,
Lara

First openGL does not have any file loading functions, the texture file will have to be loaded by a file loading routine. There are lot’s of them floating around.

I use a TGA file format texture loader, you can see examples on my website in GLblackjack and glBall: http://www.angelfire.com/linux/nexusone/index.html

You can also find BMP, JPG, GIF, texture loaders out there also.
nehe.gamedev.net has an example of a BMP and TGA also.

Originally posted by lara:
[b]Hi,
I want to add some texture to my polygon.
So far I did not come across any tutorial that speaks of uploading a texture from some place…they only talk of binding it to objects.
Could some one direct me to a link, or give me an example of uploading a texture file.
I am wondering what kind of file (by which i mean in which format) does the file need to be…

Thanks,
Lara[/b]

To to www.imagelib.org Its the home of devIL. A image loading library with the same syntax setup as OpenGL. Very native to opengl, and make things like mip mapping, and such very easy.

Well, I finally opbtained quite a few file loading routines for tga files…but they all are in C,
and as i have my program all coded in C++, i guess it is giving me problems.
Would someone have a tga file uploading routine in c++ that i could use.
Moreover i have some problems understanding the texture id… is that just nay random number we assign to the image in the main function?

Thanks for helping.

Yes, texture id could be random depends on which TGA loader you are using.

If I have list of textures I just use 1,2,3 order.
example of an array I use for the TGA loader I use.
GLint deck_store_textures[53];

I have used another which you need only supply a number in which to identify the texture when binding.

nehe.gamedev.net should have a C++ example on his site.

[b]Well, I finally opbtained quite a few file loading routines for tga files…but they all are in C,
and as i have my program all coded in C++, i guess it is giving me problems.
Would someone have a tga file uploading routine in c++ that i could use.
Moreover i have some problems understanding the texture id… is that just nay random number we assign to the image in the main function?

Thanks for helping.[/b]

You should be able to use C functions in C++ with no problems. (OpenGL functions themselves are C.)

Perhaps whoever wrote the code you are using didn’t add something like this around his function prototypes…

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern “C” {
#endif

// function prototypes

#ifdef __cplusplus
}
#endif

Try place those remarks around the place you include the header. (putting the #include where I have the comment above.)

How can I view a tga file…someone sends me?

I use paint shop pro to make and view them.
It is a free download to try it.

Also use a free image viewer, called Irfanview.

Both can be downloaded from the internet.

How can I view a tga file…someone sends me?