About Motion Blur

Here is a question about how to use several successive images to produce motion blur effect. Hugo Elias gave an article about this effect which can be referred at http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/graphics/x_motion.htm. In the article, Elias talks about two methods to simulate motion blur, one correct and one incorrect. The correct one is to, for instance, use no1,2,3,4 images to make the first image “motion-blurred” and no5,6,7,8 images to make the second one. So, the frame rate will be greatly reduced to one fourth of the original. The incorrect one, which I think correct, is to, for instance, use no1,2,3,4 images to make the first image “motion-blurred” and no2,3,4,5 images to make the second one. But according to Elias’ opinion, the incorrect one “makes moving objects smear across the screen”. The thing is I think these two methods are not intrinsically different, except that the “incorrect” one greatly increase the fps. So, would you please give me some information about the difference of the two methods?

Whatever that guy says, the second option is the right one as it treats all frames and all time steps equal.