Texturing

Hello, I’m working on some interesting new ideas in OpenGL with a graphic artist friend, and at this moment I have some very complex meshes up along with a texture map already provided… the trick I’m running into is how to tell OpenGL exactly how to deal with this. Can anyone either give me a step-by-step or point me to one? I’m using glTexCoord2fv in this case as from what I’ve looked at this seems to be the best method. I believe I need to know:

1. What initialization I need to be doing and where

2. A way of loading a .tif file into memory appropriately (This is the texture)

Any help and/or ideas would be welcomed

There is a graphics library out there that supports a lot of diffrent file formats, but I don’t know if tif is one of them.

But you could also just convert the tif to a tga format. Most good paint programs support saving TGA format.

Originally posted by KShots:
[b]Hello, I’m working on some interesting new ideas in OpenGL with a graphic artist friend, and at this moment I have some very complex meshes up along with a texture map already provided… the trick I’m running into is how to tell OpenGL exactly how to deal with this. Can anyone either give me a step-by-step or point me to one? I’m using glTexCoord2fv in this case as from what I’ve looked at this seems to be the best method. I believe I need to know:

1. What initialization I need to be doing and where
  1. A way of loading a .tif file into memory appropriately (This is the texture)

Any help and/or ideas would be welcomed [/b]

Hi,
I am sorry this is no reply to ur question, but since one of ur problems is quiet similar to what I have, I just wanted to know that did u find any way to upload the .tif file. Because, I am myself looking for the same thing. If u have, plz hlp ,me too.
Thankx

Are you using Windows OS? if you are then go to msdn.microsoft.com search for gdiplus. This is a new graphics lib for WinXP [redistributed version is availble for other Win OS]

This is an object oriented [C++] lib. Image class works with .tiff, jpeg, png, gif, bmp…

After open the image, you can easily get the bits out of the image then feed the bits [pixels] to any program.

Originally posted by lockng:
[b]Are you using Windows OS? if you are then go to msdn.microsoft.com search for gdiplus. This is a new graphics lib for WinXP [redistributed version is availble for other Win OS]

…[/b]
That’s probably the worst way imaginable to handle this.

Just convert that tif to a sane format now, instead of bugging users with yet another dubious OS ‘extension’.

As this code stands now, it compiles on both Linux and Windows machines…I’d like to keep it that way if at all possible.

So OK, I can convert the images…I intend to output everything I get into a combined binary file anyways so format doesn’t matter much so long as it is interpretted correctly.

So with that in mind, how would I go about doing this with a .tga file or <stick your favorite type here>?