OpenGL active desktop

The windows desktop wallpaper support sucks. My attempt s to find a ‘moving’ background image for my desktop has resulting in the solution of an animated GIF.

Now Don’t get me wrong, Tweety-Pie the yellow cartoon bird flapping it’s tiny wngs at 4 frames per second in a very small 200x200 GIF does technically count as ‘moving’ but I just can’t find anything better than that.

Has anyone ever made an OpenGL or even half-decent animated desktop background? The closest thing I have ever seen is the Animated water-ripple background in the title bars of TRIPEX2, a Winamp visualisation plugin.

Windows NEEDS spicing up a bit, and I know that an animated wallpaer will suck up CPU, but I WANT SUPER SMOOTH 3D DESKTOPS DAMMIT!!!

If someone reads this long after the post is dead, please email eswoz@csv.warwick.ac.uk

yup! dremples! it’s AWESOME… big fps too
www.geisswerks.com

Anyone have an idea of how this program (dremples) works???

If you guys haven’t looked at the program it is pretty cool.

I would like to be able render directly to the desktop. Does anyone out there know how???

As always,
Thanks for any responses.
jpummill

Hi,

you should retrieve the DC for the desktop. To do that you need the handle of the desktop, which is treated as a normal window und windoughs, by using the function GetDesktopWindow(). Then get the DC by calling GetDC(hwnd). Now you have the DC and can treat it as a you treat a usual OpenGL view and draw whatever you want on it!

I didn’t try it, but this is the only way I can think of how it can work.
Tell me whether it worked or not.

Have fun,

Martin

Just upgrade from windoze to macos, job done!