opengl cant run

What’s the meaning of these messages? I always get them after compilin, both in Windows n Linux. In windows i use DevC++.

…\gl\window.o(.text+0x73):window.cpp: undefined reference to gluOrtho2D@32' ...\gl\window.o(.text+0xdb):window.cpp: undefined reference toglutInit@8’
…\gl\window.o(.text+0xe8):window.cpp: undefined reference to glutInitDisplayMode@4' ...\gl\window.o(.text+0xfd):window.cpp: undefined reference toglutInitWindowSize@8’
…\gl\window.o(.text+0x10f):window.cpp: undefined reference to glutInitWindowPosition@8' ...\gl\window.o(.text+0x11f):window.cpp: undefined reference toglutCreateWindow@4’
…\gl\window.o(.text+0x12f):window.cpp: undefined reference to glutDisplayFunc@4' ...\gl\window.o(.text+0x13f):window.cpp: undefined reference toglutMouseFunc@4’
…\gl\window.o(.text+0x14c):window.cpp: undefined reference to `glutMainLoop@0’

You have to add glut32.lib to your linker stage.

That’s for windows, i guessed. But what about for Linux. In linux, it shows error (the same error) on every gl functions.

You are using Linux?! So you are DOOMED. And I don’t mean you shall make Doom.
In the fact, no one knows how linux works. But I think, you should add this library same like you have added other libraries (you have added, right? opengl32.lib for example). Maybe -lglut32 parameter will be good.

Oh, I don’t know: Windows is for multimedia, not Linux. Remember, that OS-es were created to help people with use of computer. Not for debugging.

Don’t listen to EraZer he is a total morron, linux also dose multimedia.

You are not linking the glut libraries, depending on which compiler you are using the settings are diffrent.

I have examples of how to setup Dev-C++ on my website: www.angelfire.com/linux/nexusone/
Now one version of Dev-C++ was missing the glut library and another had the header in the wrong directory.
My website will show you where everything should be located.

On linux, where distro are you using? Most the big name ones like Redhat come with all the standard openGL librarys. Note on Redhat, you will have to download and install both the glut runtime librarys(like windows dll files) and glut developer librarys.

Originally posted by EraZer:
[b]You are using Linux?! So you are DOOMED. And I don’t mean you shall make Doom.
In the fact, no one knows how linux works. But I think, you should add this library same like you have added other libraries (you have added, right? opengl32.lib for example). Maybe -lglut32 parameter will be good.

Oh, I don’t know: Windows is for multimedia, not Linux. Remember, that OS-es were created to help people with use of computer. Not for debugging.[/b]

Sorry, but who gave you right to call me morron? It is my opinion: Linux is not for multimedia. I am telling, that it can’t handle multimedia devices. That system just have no futere as a home operating system for games, movies and all that stuff.

Nevermind- I think morrons are people who say: “Oh! Linux- the hackers’ system” and those who call it multimedia platform.

I am telling, that it can’t handle multimedia devices.

Should be I am NOT telling - sorry for mistake.

It’s a free world, let people use the OS they like and you can use the one you like.

On Linux you need to add “-lglu -lgl” to the link stage.

And I guess that would be “-lglu32 -lgl32” on MinGW/DevC++

Mikael

Yes! It is free world! Free Windows Server 2003 Trial World!!!

OK. I don’t know if that parameters are good. The library that should be linked is glut, not glu or opengl. I don’t know- maybe it will work; I am just not sure.

EraZer, you did not give a opinion, you made a false statment. If it had been an opinion, you would have said “in my opinion you are doom if you use linux”.

I am not going to debate you on this subject, since you sound like you are Microsoft Windows fanatic and think it is the only OS in the world that can do anything.

And the fact that most movie effects and animations are done of Linux machines and high end video productions. Linux can play almost any video/audio format that is out there now. A compariable appications to any found on the Microsoft windows desktop.

This forum is for people seeking help, the person in this message did not ask’s for your opinion, but help in compiling his program.

But instead of helping, you told the person that they are doomed.
Do you think that was very helpful?
I think it was the answer of a morron or maybe jurk is a better label.

[b]Sorry, but who gave you right to call me morron? It is my opinion: Linux is not for multimedia. I am telling, that it can’t handle multimedia devices. That system just have no futere as a home operating system for games, movies and all that stuff.

Nevermind- I think morrons are people who say: “Oh! Linux- the hackers’ system” and those who call it multimedia platform.[/b]

I thought Dev-C++ was Windows only?

Anyway, for linux you usually need -lGL -lGLU -lglut, and often times you also need to supply a path to the headers like so -I/usr/X11R6/include, and a path to the libraries like so -L/usr/X11R6/lib. If your libGL.so, libGLU.so, and libglut.so files are located somewhere different and are not in the library search path, you would use a different library path, as you would if the .h files are located somewhere different and not in the include file search path…

Note that Linux has case sensitive file names, so -lgl and -lGL are NOT the same thing…

Also, you may also need other libraries like -lX11, etc.

The last message is correct.
Just to confirm (I’m currently using opengl + glut in a mandrake 8.2 distribution) if you’ve installed the latest mesa implementation (6.0 I belive) you should be able to compile a program with “gcc -o myprogram main.c -lglut”. Usually when linking with glut there’s no need to explicitly link with -lgl or -lglu (not that it would hurt if you did). The problem with the path for the libraries (-L/usr/X11…) I’ve encountered it on RedHat distribution.
If you need the site for mesa it’s www.mesa3d.org

Nexusone:
It is not a forum for discussion of that kind, but…

If you don’t understand that someone can say his opinion without writing ‘In my opinion’, please go back to school.

I’ve never ever called anyone doom. I’ve just write that he is doomed.

That text about doom was a (specific) joke. Maybe your IQ does not allow to understand jokes without and , but I don’t care. If you don’t understand this, be quiet.

My opininion is that Linux is not a OS that should be used for multimedia. And I am talking about using it at home. Of course, it handles multimedia. But tell me- who really cares?

As I said- the OS-es weren’t created to be still debugged or configured, but to help people. (So I even can say, Linux… aaa, nevermind- you won’t understand it.)

And at the end, do NOT call me liar or morron. I know what I am talking about. Sometimes only you have to read between the rows.

And… Didn’t I write something like: ‘add it as other libraries’? Isn’t it a helping information?

Since he had to read through all of your nagitive comments I would say no.

As for getting a joke, the only jokes I have seen is you trying to justifiy your comments bashing of linux and of the poster.

And… Didn’t I write something like: ‘add it as other libraries’? Isn’t it a helping information?

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 03-17-2004).]

Nexusone:
My opininion is that Linux is not a OS that should be used for multimedia. And I am talking about using it at home. Of course, it handles multimedia. But tell me- who really cares?

I know I shouldn’t feed the troll, but…

People who use Linux care. Just because you are ignorant as to what Linux can really do, doesn’t mean that everyone dismisses it as easily as you. Like nexusone, I found your post offensive, and lacking any real help.

Sure, you posted to add libraries to the command line, but you didn’t even tell him the proper libraries. How much help can that really be.

What a maroon.

It is not a forum for discussion of that kind…

Exactly, so why did you started it?

This is an OpenGL board and OpenGL was around long before Windows or Linux so your posts are absolutely pointless and uncalled for.

Furthermore your answers are way off-topic and not funny/ironic/whatever at all so I wish you would mind your own words:

If you don’t understand this, be quiet.

I haven’t started it. Nexusone has started. And OK- I will not write anything more. Just I don’t like to be called morron, troll or even ignorant. I know what Linux can. But I don’t like this system. Even don’t think why, because you may just repeat that i am an ignorant. Above words are my opinion and THE END.

I said THE END but I forgot. WHy I have to tell anybody what libraries he should add? Doesn’t he know what he have got in wonderful linux system? THE END2

Ok! I am able to run opengl in Windows…so far. but I still can manage to figure out running it in Linux (Red Hat 9). I’ve got all the Libraries, checked the upper/lower case, e’th seems ok. But don know why it gives all the same errors.