Any suggestions on learning openGL? -- Chinese Adun

Since I am a Chinese student with poor English, I can not fully understand the books written in English. And we have different way of thinking about and resolving problem. This is not my fault, 'cause computer was born in America.
Hohoho…so I’ll be glad to get some suggestions from you!!!
And please reply my topic more, which will surely be helpful to my English.THANKS!!!

Sooo, … you want us to give you some recommandation for some book written in Chinese? I’m afraid your only hope is to learn English. You’ll catch up quickly.

The reference openGL book is the “OpenGL Programming Guide, 3rd edition”, by Mason Woo. The red book. It’s got some simple sample code, and covers all the opengl functionalities, minus the extensions. It’s a bit dry, quite academical sometimes.

a book that is well rated is OpenGL Game Programming, by Kevin Hawkins, Dave Astle.

Another reference book is “Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice”, by James D. Foley, Andries Van Dam, John Hughes, Feiner. This is more a behind the scene kind of book, ut a must have.

They are maybe quite difficult to grasp. but about learning English, you’re gonna have to do it sooner or later, so why not sooner?

Thank you first for your suggestion and the
book names you’ve referred.
I am trying my best to improve my English
and game programming.
By the way, I am a good starcraft player and
I admire Blizzard very much!!

Maybe the reason Electronic Computer’s where built in America is becuase of our diffrent way of thinking!!!

And to program you will have to change how you think, since computers do things sometimes that is not how you think they should be done.

But their are many Chinese who program with openGL and there maybe a sites with some tutors on openGL in Chinese.

Try a google search, maybe can find a Chinese college, that has some computer courses posted on the web for openGL.

Originally posted by adun:
Since I am a Chinese student with poor English, I can not fully understand the books written in English. And we have different way of thinking about and resolving problem. This is not my fault, 'cause computer was born in America.
Hohoho…so I’ll be glad to get some suggestions from you!!!
And please reply my topic more, which will surely be helpful to my English.THANKS!!!

Originally posted by nexusone:
Try a google search, maybe can find a Chinese college, that has some computer courses posted on the web for openGL.

Arent the Chinese ISP’s forced to block google and other searchengines? I think I read something about that a while back on /.

Just curious…

Yea, have seen something like that on /. also but I don’t remember if it was a complete block or just filtered.

Anyway could be a search engine in his country since that is where I guess a chinese website on openGl maybe hosted.

Originally posted by OneOverThree:
[b] Arent the Chinese ISP’s forced to block google and other searchengines? I think I read something about that a while back on /.

Just curious…

[/b]

I’ve read both the threads (on the begginers forum and the advanced forum), and i agree with everyone. You should learn english now. You write pretty well and you should be able to catch on fairly quick. The OpenGL Game Programming book will be easy to understand. They don’t go crazy with big words. The Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice in C will be a bit tougher to understand. But it’s not hard to understand just for you! Sometimes they loose me and probably everyone who has read any book of that level has gotten lost at some point.
About you’re different way of thinking: We all think differently. These books aren’t meant to tell you EXACTLY how you should do it. They just teach you how things work,and then you can use them as tools to do what you want how you want. Anyways, it can’t hurt to try!
Also, there are some sites that teach you OpenGL and are fairly easy to understand. Check out : NeHe or Game Tutorials .

Good Luck!

• Halcyon

Thanks for your suggestion!! I have taken a glance at the NeHe and Game Turorials you’ve just offered, and they give me a pleasant surprise, 'cause they are of great help to me£¡£¡ Thanks again, in Chinese, xiexie ni!!

Originally posted by HalcyonBlaze:
[b]I’ve read both the threads (on the begginers forum and the advanced forum), and i agree with everyone. You should learn english now. You write pretty well and you should be able to catch on fairly quick. The OpenGL Game Programming book will be easy to understand. They don’t go crazy with big words. The Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice in C will be a bit tougher to understand. But it’s not hard to understand just for you! Sometimes they loose me and probably everyone who has read any book of that level has gotten lost at some point.
About you’re different way of thinking: We all think differently. These books aren’t meant to tell you EXACTLY how you should do it. They just teach you how things work,and then you can use them as tools to do what you want how you want. Anyways, it can’t hurt to try!
Also, there are some sites that teach you OpenGL and are fairly easy to understand. Check out : NeHe or Game Tutorials .

Good Luck!

• Halcyon[/b]

I’m a Taiwanese and I think your poor English seems better than mine Even I can finish the Red book, you shouldn’t have trouble to read it too. I recommend the book!

Since we are talking to someone from China, we should be sure to say the Red book we are talking about is not the one from the Goverment.

But the OpenGL Programming guide know as THE Red book(because of the red cover), also there is a openGL blue book which is a reference book which is blue in color.

Originally posted by egmont64:
I’m a Taiwanese and I think your poor English seems better than mine Even I can finish the Red book, you shouldn’t have trouble to read it too. I recommend the book!

My chinese friend says to welcome you with the greeting: “You are tortoise egg.”

haha(the same as “hehe” or “hoho”)…
How does our folk words sound?
I always call my friends “da ji ba”, so give the words to him too, as my greeting.
Don’t be angry, it’s just a joke…haha again.

Originally posted by gumby:
My chinese friend says to welcome you with the greeting: “You are tortoise egg.”

[This message has been edited by adun (edited 03-14-2003).]