ATI, Nvidia developer GL examples

Is there any OpenGL example program w/ source code out there written
by a 3D card manufacturer that does not use glaux?

IMHO, the sample programs that they offer are pretty weak for OpenGL,
while there are tons of sample programs for DirectX.

There is hundreds upon hundreds of OpenGL programs with source available on the internet that do not use glaux. glaux has been outdated for quite some time now.

Old GLman

What? there are ton’s of openGL example code out there.

And at the college level, many computer science departments touch on programming with openGL.

You may find more prominate sites with direct X support, but it is hard for openGL to compete with Microsoft’s large cash flow into direct X. Second direct X was started because Microsoft could not get total control of the openGL API, and heaven forbid that microsoft support an open cross platform inititive like openGL. But you need only look at the first 3D screen savers by microsoft where made with openGL. Even the openGL logo is in the 3D maze screen saver!

Another thing is if you use openGL you then can also be able to convert it to run on Mac and Linux, vs. written in direct X no way.
And that is another thing Microsoft did not like is being able to have the programs open to run on other OS systems, with getting people to use direct x, they are locking out other OS’s like Mac and linux.

Originally posted by Syslock:
[b]Is there any OpenGL example program w/ source code out there written
by a 3D card manufacturer that does not use glaux?

IMHO, the sample programs that they offer are pretty weak for OpenGL,
while there are tons of sample programs for DirectX.[/b]

Vote with your dollars!

Boycott M$ and buy a Mac already… even the fargin 2D desktop is OpenGL accelerated.

Uhm buddy if you honestly think that by buying a mac your doing open source a favor your wrong. Look at the facts:

Mac OS X IS NOT OPEN SOURCE, it is proprietary software that you need to pay 100 friggin dollars for.

They use openGL simply because it is all they have available to them right now.

No, I don’t mean just any OpenGL program found on the web.

I mean OpenGL sample programs written by 3D card developers,
like ATI and Nvidia. All the samples on their sites use glaux,
which I despise.

Can’t tell you anything “good”. NVIDIAS&ATI examples are mostly HORRIBLE. There is whole bunch of unused & dirty code. Thats the way it is If you want to see god examples look at opengl.nutty.org, www.gametutorials.com and that sort of sites. First one uses openIL for imaging, that’s also cross platform. I don’t know but actually I dont like openIL & glaux, at least as far as I’m trying to learn somthing, because I want to feel every step of process. Unfortunately NeHe site seems to be outdated for me, despite the fact it has wweerryy lot information & the glaux in there really turns me off.

Well, The reason why I am looking for OpenGL programs written by
these “professional” developers is that want to see how they create
an OpenGL program from scratch (no aux libraries or anything like
that). I just want to take a look at the varius settings and
the basic framework they use with OpenGL.

NVIDIA uses glut a lot