problems with VC++ and linking

I know this isn’t openGL related but I was wondering if anybody has any ideas as to what would cause this error:
Linking…
LIBC.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
Release/Triangle.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

Triangle.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Am I forgetting an includes file or am I missing some .dll file. Any help as to where to look or what the problem might be would be especially helpful.

If your program has a main function ( not WinMain) should you create a console app.

do you compile fine for a debug build (it looks like you are doing a release build, judging by the error returned)? if so, take a look at your project settings.

you may have something in your debug link settings that aren’t present in your release.

[This message has been edited by dallas (edited 07-17-2001).]

You are trying to compile a console and don’t have a main function (thus the linker can’t find it). You’re most likely using a WinMain function for the entry point so you should start the app as a Win32 Application project, not a Win32 console project. The two projects are essentially the same except for the entry points they expect.

I also had such problem, but when compiling .dll file. It may be solved in different ways:

1. play with your Code Generation option in project settings.
  2. explicitly add msvcrt.lib(release) and msvcrtd.lib(debug) to your project.

Thanks guys I’ll give it a try and see what happens. Its probably the case because I was trying to get rid of GLUT in favor of a windows app. and using some directx.

Sorry about the ineptitude but I’m really new to these types of errors. I didn’t list all of the errors but they are very similiar and probably stem from the same problem. I don’t know if I have all of the settings for the project right I changed my project to a win32 app. instead of a win32 console app. and now i’m getting all of these errors.

main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__glEnd@0
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__glVertex3f@12
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__glBegin@4
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__glTranslated@24
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__glTranslatef@12
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__wglMakeCurrent@8
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__wglCreateContext@4
Debug/tank game.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 31 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

You now have to add some *.lib to your project settings. Links fail because your declare some functions (in gl.h, glu.h and glaux.h) but VC++ can’t find implementation of these. I think you need files like opengl32.lib and perhaps there are some other files like glu32.lib and glaux32.lib. I am quite sure it is your problem. And there is no problem with your questions, we all began one day…and at this time, I didn’t know Opengl forum… : (

Thnaks for the help I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. It worked like a charm and I can finally get back to learning openGL instead of tinkering with vis. c++.