Question about creating faces

Hello guys,

I’m with a big problem, and I’m trying to find the best solution for this problem, I will try to explain :

I have a model (that is digitized in slices / sections), now I would like to render it, it means that I have to make the faces and I also want to export it in some formats, but not in slices, in faces, the question is : How to create the faces (QUADS or triangles) based in my slices model ?

Any help will be apreciated

Thank you for the moment.

Happy 2002 for everybody.

Kurt

BTW : is there any brazilian guy here ?

Could you give a better description of what a slice is?

Lets imagine that you have a bread, and when you want to cut a peace for you, you will have a slice of the bread.

Lets imagine a rectangle :

| |
| |
| |

I have to scan this rectangle, the device to digitize that I’m using will make sections (slices) of this rectangle, like this :

---------------
---------------
---------------

Then I will have a file with the coordinates X Y Z for all the sections that my digitizer generated. Slices are parallel cuts of the object.

Hope that I was clear enough.
Tnks
Kurt

The fisrt rectangle was not good

| |
| |
| |

----------------
----------------
----------------

Tnks
Kurt

Not yet, I think you can understand what I mean.

Thank you
Best regards
Kurt

What I was really looking for is more information on what data makes up a slice, that is, is it a scalar field? Or is it just a series of points? How are the points distributed, throughout or only on the surface?

Is just a serie of points that describe the surface of my object.

Hope I was clear.

Thank you
Best regards

Ok, good. Is the outline of each slice always simple? Or can it be complex, i.e. made up of multiple disconnected contours? If it is multiple contours I would suggest something along the lines of the marching cubes algorithm. If the contour of the slice is always simple, then finding the hull should be quite trivial.

[This message has been edited by DFrey (edited 01-11-2002).]

Can you be more clear , sorry, i’m only 16 years old.

And I really will apreciate your help.

Tnks
Kurt

Hi, DFrey

It seems that you are trying to find a all-purpose save-strategy to save your slices data.

Do you know about VTK? I suggest visit http://www.kitware.com/ to download one, and see how they organize the data.

In the simplest, just like KurtCob’idea,to save data to two-dimension array, but at least you can decide how to use your array.

Is it right? I also don’t know much, and I save and draw my slice-sphere follow what the MATLAB’s function sphere() does.