Is OpenGl the best solution for 3d web graphics?

I am about to begin a quite big project related to 3d environments in web (sth like classic doom but internet-able).
I will program with c++ or Java.
I wonder which is the best graphics software to use between: OpenGl, X3D, VRML or ?.
I have no experience with openGl but I have time to learn.
Finally is OpenGl effective (and reasonably easy) to use to program 3d graphics for the Internet?
Any related sites, sources?
Thank you very much in advance.

Isn’t VRML made specifically for that? OpenGL won’t show up within your web browser if thats what your looking for.

OpenGL is a low-level graphics library.
VRML and X3D are scene graphs, ie higher level libraries.

OpenGL is often used for implementation of VRML viewers.

Think of VRML (and X3D, its basically the same thing) as a high level description of a scene, containing commands such as “draw a sphere with radius r, at position xyz”. Then if you want to draw somthing when reading a VRML file, you implement a VRML parser which renders the scene described in this VRML file. The renderer could use OpenGL (or D3D, or a software renderer of your own).

Hi!I have the same problem with you. I think we could share the experience. Ok?

Originally posted by darkelf:
I am about to begin a quite big project related to 3d environments in web (sth like classic doom but internet-able).
I will program with c++ or Java.
I wonder which is the best graphics software to use between: OpenGl, X3D, VRML or ?.
I have no experience with openGl but I have time to learn.
Finally is OpenGl effective (and reasonably easy) to use to program 3d graphics for the Internet?
Any related sites, sources?
Thank you very much in advance.