Hand model

Hi! I am a very beginner for programming in OpenGL, please help me. I’m now trying to write a program (in VisualC++) to track the human hand. In order to do so, I need to create a 3D hand model that I can control each finger’s joint. To clearify this, please take a look here http://www-sop.inria.fr/robotvis/pe…emos_hand.html. I would like to create a 3D hand model like this. Do I have to create such a model by other CG software like Maya? if so, how can I make use of such model in my program? I’m truly sorry, but I dont know much about modelling or programing using OpenGL. Please help. Thank you so much.

Since you are a beginner to modelling and OpenGL, why not take things step by step. First, familiarize yourself with OpenGL, for example using the tutorials of NeHe or from others on the internet.

Secondly, I would not start with a sophisticated hand model, but with a collection of lines that represent the parts of the fingers. Sort of a skeleton-hand, if you will. These lines rotate with respect to eachother at the joints. This will reduce the problem to managable proportions.

Later on when you are satisfied with the way your hand responds to the input you can incorporate a more realistic hand model made with Maya, 3D Studio or whatever. You’ll find that these modelling tools often use a skeltal bone-structure as well to define the movement of a model.

Sounds like an interesting project you’re working on. Good luck.
Pete.