Colors changing problem

Hi, this is a problem which has been plaguing me for quite some time now… Hope someone can help me?

I have a code that draws 2 objects based on condition ‘a’.If ‘a’ is 1, it draws the first object, if ‘a’ is 2, it draws the second object. ‘a’ toggles every now and then from 1 to 2.

These are 4 observations I made.

1)If object 1 is drawn alone, there is no problem.

2)If object 2 is drawn alone, the color of object 2 is different from what I expected. (it seems more brown than orange)

3)If object 1 is drawn first, followed by object 2, there is no problem.

4)If object 2 is drawn first followed by object 1, the color of object 2 is the same as condition (2), meaning it is more brown than orange.

Below is my code in this area, pls help!!

/////////////////////////////////////////////
static GLfloat color[8][3]=
{ //red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,
//light blue, black
{1.0f,0.0f,0.0f},{1.0f,0.5f,0.0f},{1.0f,1.0f,0.0f},{0.0f,1.0f,0.0f},{0.0f,0.0f,1.0f},{0.97f,0.61f,0.96f}, {0.65f,0.8f,0.95f},{0.0f,0.0f,0.0f}
};

void DrawObject(void)
{
glColor3fv(color[colorloop]);
glCallList(object);
}

////in my renderscene function/////

if (a==1)
{
glPushMatrix();
glTranslatef(x1,0.0f,z1};
glRotatef(rot,0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);
colorloop=0;
DrawObject();
glPushMatrix();
}

if (a==2)
{
glPushMatrix();
glTranslatef(x2,0.0f,z2};
glRotatef(rot,0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);
colorloop=1;
DrawObject();
glPushMatrix();
}

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Pls help me if you know anything. Thanks!

Hi !

First of all, replace the last glPushMatrix() at the end of each “if” clause to a glPopMatrix(), you are filling up the matrix stack very fast and then you will get weird transformation problems.

Not sure about problem with the colors though, I assume you have all,lighting disabled as you are using glColor… (glDisable( GL_LIGHTING) :wink:

In that case the color should be what you set with glColor…

Mikael

Hi, Thanks alot!!
Anyway, the PopMatrix was a typo error…heh…Thanks for pointing it out!

Can I check with you, I am using Lighting enabled, and I did not disable Lighting, so do I need to disable Lighting for this problem? (I hope not cause I need the Lighting for certain effects).

Thanks alot!!

Hi !

glColor…() normally only works when lighting is disabled, to set the color when lighting is enabled you could use for example glMaterialfv().

Mikael

Hi, first of all, Thanks alot for replying!!
but i could not really understand what you meant, do you mind explaining it with more details? Or maybe an example?

I am still not sure about the use of gl Materialfv, can you please enlighten me? thanks!!