Opengl Vs Wild tangent question.

I presently use opengl for my graphics. I hate using direct x because its very code cumbersome. I have recently discovered something called wild tangent, its like directx on acid. Very easy to code, and does it all, even collition detection. It seems to be very fast, and very stable, does anyone here have any info on it vs opengl? I know that opengl is portable, and Wild Tangent is not, I am curious if anyone uses it, and how much luck they have with it. I also like that i can multitexture to work with all the video cards with WT, i have a hard time doing that in opengl… Any suggestions?

Learn more about OpenGL before saying you can’t multitexture and before comparing it against a browser plugin.

I didnt say CANT multitexture, i know you can, but you have to use extentions, and that only works on some cards reliably, that im aware of, and WT is more than a browser plug in. It can be used to create stand alone apps as well. Very fast very compressed apps.

I didnt say CANT multitexture, i know you can, but you have to use extentions, and that only works on some cards reliably, that im aware of

Extensions (especially the standard ones like ARB_multitexture) work correctly on every card that provides the extension, in virtually all cases. If an OpenGL card doesn’t support ARB_multitexture, it is either a very old card, or a card that doesn’t have multitexturing hardware.

I have recently discovered something called wild tangent, its like directx on acid. Very easy to code, and does it all, even collition detection. It seems to be very fast, and very stable, does anyone here have any info on it vs opengl?

It is not a low-level graphics API. Since it does collision detection, it is probably much closer to an application framework or an engine than a low-level graphics API (like Direct3D or OpenGL). Therefore, comparing them is not really possible, since they are doing two entirely different things.

Ok, Wild Tangent seems to be an application framework. OpenGL is a low level rasterization spec, implemented as hardware drivers most of the time.

I still don’t think how you can make a valid comparison between the two. That’s like comparing HTML and C. Maybe you like predefined objects and file formats. That’s fine. If you’re using OpenGL, you have to do that yourself and that’s alright because it allows maximum flexibility and control. OpenGL doesn’t deal with this stuff at all, it’s not meant to do that. And that’s not a flaw or a missing feature, it’s simply what OpenGL is supposed to be: low level stuff you can build upon.

(Btw multitexturing is supported on every consumer card these days, and accordingly, in OpenGL 1.3 it is part of the core spec.)

The previous posters are right, you’re comparing apples with bananas.

That Wild Tangent framework is just a version of the Genesis 3D engine together with some extra options to use it on the web.

[This message has been edited by richardve (edited 03-23-2002).]