Switching to hardware rendering

I compiled and ran an example program but the program is using the generic microsoft renderer. How do I switch to hardware rendering?

Hi !

Normally if you have hardware drivers installed it will use it, unless you have setup a rendering context with options that isn’t supported by hardware.

Check that you do have installed the correct drivers for your hardware, you can also add a glGetString( GL_VENDOR); to your code, this will return MS for the software renderer and something else for the hardware renderer.

Mikael

OpenGL switchs automaticaly to hardware if supported, if your card has 3D hardware.
Make sure your card supports openGL and that you have the openGL drivers for the card.
If do not have openGL drivers for the card then software rendering will be used.

Try visiting the video cards website and look for the openGL drivers, some venders have both the Opengl and direct x drivers in one install file, like ATI.

Originally posted by mmshls:
I compiled and ran an example program but the program is using the generic microsoft renderer. How do I switch to hardware rendering?