What are dependant texture reads?

Hello everyone, just as the subject reads, can somebody tell me about what this is or is there some place that i can find out more information about this? An article, web site? Thanks.

Anyone?

Originally posted by djbuzzkill:
Hello everyone, just as the subject reads, can somebody tell me about what this is or is there some place that i can find out more information about this? An article, web site? Thanks.

I’ll take a stab at explaining it, even though I have yet to own a card capable of doing them.

Basically, as I understand it, a dependant texture read is exactly what it is, a texture read (a.k.a. address generation) that is dependant upon some value. This value is usually a normal vector (but could be any vector you so desire) that has been encoded into a RGB triplet. The value itself can be retrieved from another texture, a constant, or from the primary color for example. So, for example, the GPU could fetch a texel from one texture, and use that texel to determine what texel to get from another texture. A very powerful method to accelerate many advanced shading algorithms.

[This message has been edited by DFrey (edited 01-08-2002).]