Device Context

I’ve noticed that if I terminate my OpenGL application by aborting it from the task manager - or if it crashes … :frowning: then I find that the next time an OpenGL program is run, the drawing canvas context seems a little odd … and results in overwriting any other active window … I’ve checked and double checked my context assignments and they look alright and certainly if my program terminates correctly then I don’t experience this problem … so the destructor code to release my assigned DCs is OK.

Am I missing something in my initialization or is this effect to be expected after failure to release and delete assigned contexts ?

Many thanks

Andrew

Perhaps does it depends on the Windows version but I think that the effect is to be expected. A typical problem when developing a program that crashes is that the video memory for textures is not returned making the program runs slower and slower.

Hi Zico,
Thanks for your response … I’d kind of concluded that this was the case but it’s just that I needed some reassurance that this effect might have been due to some slight oversight. Yes … dead right about those textures … does get slower and slower if they’re not released … is there any way to reset the card in any way ?

Thanks

Andrew

The only way I know of is to restart Windows…