Newbie question

Hi Friends,
I am new to opengl. I wanted to ask that does glx library works only for linux OS or is it valid for Windows 2000 too?
From the documents I have read I tend to get impression that glx library is only for X windows system ie on linux etc but not for windows. Is this understanding correct?
Secondly if it is true that glx library is not meant for Windows OS then can anyone tell me what corresponding functions are there for windows 2000? Which library to use for windows?

Thanks and Regards,
Khushi

glx was writen for unix type OS systems, some functions of glx are not used by Microsoft windows.

Your best bet if you want to make programs that will work on windows and linux is to use GLUT library, Glu library. Also there is the SDL library which adds sound routines that work in both MS windows and linux.

GLUT add’s basic window creation functions, keyboard and mouse. I use it myself to write openGL programs in windows.

Originally posted by Guest:
[b]Hi Friends,
I am new to opengl. I wanted to ask that does glx library works only for linux OS or is it valid for Windows 2000 too?
From the documents I have read I tend to get impression that glx library is only for X windows system ie on linux etc but not for windows. Is this understanding correct?
Secondly if it is true that glx library is not meant for Windows OS then can anyone tell me what corresponding functions are there for windows 2000? Which library to use for windows?

Thanks and Regards,
Khushi[/b]

A lot (but not necessarily all) of the glx functions have corresponding wgl functions which are used in Windows. If there’s any in particular you want to know about and there isn’t a wgl function, you can ask here as there is likely a Win32 API function, or some other method you can use as well.