*.dsw file

in NeHe tutorial, why couldn’t get the output if *.dsw file is not open?
what is *.dsw file about?
and how to get this file?

dws files are the project files… That is the file you open to get to the entire project… You need visual C++…

This is just a technicallity, but the dsw file is actually the workspace file. Basically it contains which projects are in the workspace,etc. The dsp files are the project files and that contains things like which libraries to link in, compiler settings, etc.

My question is, if you have VC++ and a dsw file why would you NOT want to use it? It’s a lot easier than setting up your own project then going in to add libraries, make sure you have the right compiler settings, etc.

If you’re trying to use just the .cpp files, my guess is that you are probably getting linker errors. If the route you really wanna go is setting it up manually, you’ll have to go into the link tab of the project properties, and add the missing libraries. (Most likely you’ll need opengl32.lib, and possibly glu32.lib.)

If you get errors about a missing main() or WinMain(), then you have to change the compiler settings. I don’t remember which flag that was exactly offhand, though. There are basically 3 types of apps you can create. A Win32 app which uses WinMain as the entry point, a Win32 console which uses main as the entry point, and an MFC app which creates a global instance of CWinApp and basically uses a hidden WinMain that passes stuff to that.

ya, im using VC++, but when i trying to compile the NeHe tutorial by using a different file name, but there is still error…
the error message was “cannot execute program” pop up in a small window.
by the way, i used win32 App.

Originally posted by Deiussum:
[b]This is just a technicallity, but the dsw file is actually the workspace file. Basically it contains which projects are in the workspace,etc. The dsp files are the project files and that contains things like which libraries to link in, compiler settings, etc.

My question is, if you have VC++ and a dsw file why would you NOT want to use it? It’s a lot easier than setting up your own project then going in to add libraries, make sure you have the right compiler settings, etc.

If you’re trying to use just the .cpp files, my guess is that you are probably getting linker errors. If the route you really wanna go is setting it up manually, you’ll have to go into the link tab of the project properties, and add the missing libraries. (Most likely you’ll need opengl32.lib, and possibly glu32.lib.)

If you get errors about a missing main() or WinMain(), then you have to change the compiler settings. I don’t remember which flag that was exactly offhand, though. There are basically 3 types of apps you can create. A Win32 app which uses WinMain as the entry point, a Win32 console which uses main as the entry point, and an MFC app which creates a global instance of CWinApp and basically uses a hidden WinMain that passes stuff to that.[/b]

Well, it never compiles???
I get that message when I compile and run my program through VC++ (e.g. ctrl+F5), and then try to run it again without closing my already opened one…!
I dont know if this makes much sense…

I have used a few of nehes programs and never had a problem…

Which nehes program are you trying to compile? I will download it and see if it gives me the same error…

Originally posted by always1:
[b]ya, im using VC++, but when i trying to compile the NeHe tutorial by using a different file name, but there is still error…
the error message was “cannot execute program” pop up in a small window.
by the way, i used win32 App.

[/b]

Are you actually adding the .cpp files to the project, or just opening them? A project with no code in it cannot make an .exe to run. You need to go to Project->Add to Project->Files, not File->Open.

Just did a quick test with an empty Win32 App project, and it gives me that same “cannot execute program” window, so I’m guessing that is probably where your problem is.