Motion Sick :(

Hey,
I have gotten a small 3D demo working… very nice, you can move the camera around the environment, look at buildings, etc… etc…

only problem is, it makes me motion sick to look at it! I’ve played a LOT of 3D games before and never gotten motion sick. Is this a refresh-rate issue or something? has anyone else ever run into this?
I don’t want to submit a barf-inducing program as my final project…

Originally posted by GreatRedShark:
[b]Hey,
I have gotten a small 3D demo working… very nice, you can move the camera around the environment, look at buildings, etc… etc…

only problem is, it makes me motion sick to look at it! I’ve played a LOT of 3D games before and never gotten motion sick. Is this a refresh-rate issue or something? has anyone else ever run into this?
I don’t want to submit a barf-inducing program as my final project…[/b]
What is making you sick? Is it the quality of graphics or the objects?

i believe he means motions sickness as in when you play doom very fast, i think it could be your refresh rate, or maybe the speed that things move, could be the colors also…

You wanna post the demo somewhere and pass us a link, sounds like a good and free alternative to smoking weed…
j/k :smiley:

Maybe your field-of-view is too narrow. If you are using 45 or 60 degree this is definitely a problem, in my opinion. Try 90 degree instead.

Jan.

Also, it may be a good idea to switch VSync on, if it isn’t already. Tearing might give the impression of tilting.

Please can you post it ? I can’t find many things that makes me motion sick, but love that feeling :smiley:

MMMovania: lol! yeah so I’m not the greatest artist… and the models that WOULD have looked cool had too many polys/verts… no time to optimize right now (maybe over the summer)

Zukko: could I adjust the refresh rate in-code?

T101: How would I turn that on? is it a video card setting or a GL setting?

Oh, I set the FOV to be between 80 and 120, and it DOES look better at 90, but it still gets annoying, it just takes longer…

Vsync is a “window” setting.
It depends on your operating system, because you need to specify it on creation of the window.

By the way, another thing that may have an effect is instantaneous speed changes.
If the camera goes from complete stop to fullspeed in an instance, that’s likely to feel unnatural.
Use acceleration and deceleration (even if they are fast).

PS: I don’t claim to know that all these things induce motion-sickness - they’re just some thoughts on the matter.

I used to work at a helicopter simulator. About half of the pilots that came in couldn’t last more than 30 minutes before coming out totally green. The others never minded. I don’t think it was the refresh rate, just the visual cues without any accompanying motion.