can someone help a complete newbie?

I am a complete newb to programming let alone opengl. My major is Animation and I want to learn opengl so i can bring interactivity to my animations. So I guess I need to learn to program. Any suggestions where I should start?

I think if you want to start opengl the
opengl red book is a great one for refernce…
and you will get many helping docs to get
you started one is “A 3D cse study using openGl”… …al the best.

I guess a very good place to start with is http://nehe.gamedeve.net
It has some amazing examples and illustrations with explanations after each line of code in the tutorial section.
Hope that helps!!

Vijay.

Originally posted by Gettarobox:
I am a complete newb to programming let alone opengl. My major is Animation and I want to learn opengl so i can bring interactivity to my animations. So I guess I need to learn to program. Any suggestions where I should start?

both or those replies are great butif you are new to programming those resources may be hard to understand. you might wanna think about learning C and C++ first.

> My major is Animation …

I’m curious what this means. I’ve never heard of this sort of major; but I don’t get around much either.

Is it a 2 year thing?

Is it for learning to use apps like Maya, 3DStudioMax, LightWave, etc.? If so, note that you can use C++ and OpenGL to create programs such as these, but I don’t see how that’d help you.

You might be better off looking at something like RenderMan.

I don’t think that Red Book is the best book to start learning opengl, it can be used as a reference and not as a teaching book. IMO, OpenGL Game Programming (it teaches the animation basics too) or nehe tutorials is the way to go.

Bye

if your NEW to programming + want to see
the results of your work without having to
spend ages learning C++…i would suggest
Blitz3D (basic)…
Its easy & fast to learn + you will get near
instant results…perhaps after spending some time here you will feel ready to tackle more complicated languages…C++ & OpenGL are
probably not the best first step…

Anyway…goodluck

http://nomad.openglforums.com

my website with tutorials that might be of use to you. .