This is weird

I have the exact same program compiled under C++ Builder 4 and VC 6.0 and I get this behaviour:

1. The C++ Builder version works fine in Win 98 and Win2K.
  2. The VC version works fine in Win98.
  3. The VC version cannot create an OpenGL rendering context in Win2K (e.g. wglCreateContext() returns NULL as many of you have encountered here).

What on earth is going on? If of any value I use SGI’s implementation of OpenGL.

Any ideas? Thanks.

my first thougts were that your problem is a (further) proof that:

• w2k sucks
  • MS in general sucks (vc)
  • Borland builds better compilers
  • Windows refuses to work if you try to use “foreign” alternatives for things where there already is a (often worse) ms version (such as sgi opengl)

well but i guess that won’t really help you . ever tried linux? or the ms opengl dll? on my two computers, w2k often does not work very well but i still refuse to install service packs (in my opinion this is like you purchase a car and some part of the control computer is sent to you via mail some months later, and you have to put it in your place, and THEN the brakes will work properly) and do not really expect it to work as i would like it to do (and use linux instead).

Regards
Jan

You took the words right of my mouth… I think I’m going to try the MS libs just for the sake of it but if that works I’m done with Windows.

I use Linux for net services but unfortunately I haven’t spent much time doing development on it.

BTW, Have you had any experience with Qt and/or Cygwin?

Regards,
ipo

My suspicions just got confirmed. The VC version creates the rendering context when using the OpenGL libs from MS.

QT only as part of delphi/kylix, but under linux i would rather recommend (open)motif as it is very very fast (what qt under linux definitely isn’t) and not really that hard.

Regards
Jan

so your’e done with windows? i reached that point some months ago when windows simply wasn’t installable on my computer without any reasons, and after several tries, i decided, if it does not want, well, that’s ok, and since then, i mostly stick with linux.

I’ve put up with this MS nonsense far too long so I’m going to take a serious look at Linux as a development platform.

I still need to deploy for Windows and that’s why I was asking about Qt and Cygwin. I guess my other alternative is to use an X server on the end-user PCs.

Windows sucks… Windows sucks…

Either make a sensible, intelligent statement with perhaps some evidence to back your claim or shut the hell up.

I’ve been developing on both windows and Linux for over 10 years and “windows sucks” has never been a statment I heard among professionals of any caliber.

And don’t bother flaming or even replying.

I’m not listening…

Originally posted by ipo:

1. The C++ Builder version works fine in Win 98 and Win2K.
  2. The VC version works fine in Win98.
  3. The VC version cannot create an OpenGL rendering context in Win2K (e.g. wglCreateContext() returns NULL as many of you have encountered here).

If you do not see the evidence to back up the claim, obviously you did not even bother reading the first post.

As for the question, according to the FAQ they say that “incorrect mixing of GDI and wgl* calls may result in openGL functioning correctly in Windows 9x but not in NT/2000”. Still, if its the exact same source for C++ Builder and VC++ it seems strange that one would work and the other would not. Do they both link with the exact same .lib files as well?

well my posting was not meant to be taken TOO seriously… although i often hear “windows sucks” from professionals (and i really think it does, btw).

Jan

Actually the FAQ says that under Windows 2000 “one ends up with a black OpenGL window”… I’m not even getting the rendering context to create when using the libs from SGI.

And even if we were to forget about the C++ Builder version it is still beyond me why the VC version creates the rendering context when linking one set of libraries but not the other.

ipo