opengl and visual C++?

:mad: :mad: :mad:
My computer graphics teacher tells me not to do my graphics project in Opengl as it is involved with VC++. He instead feels that programming in Turbo C/C++ using the graphics library is better.
I think it is wrong idea.
What do you guys say?

Well, that’s really not enough information for anyone to say who they agree with, but I’ll do my best interpolation job:

1. Your project is to use and understand the basics of 2D and 3D graphics. In this case, I totally, 150% agree with your professor. You have to learn to stand and walk before you can fly. And if you ever need to write a software 2D/3D renderer, there are a lot of topics which you absolutely need to know. For instance, how do you make your own projection matrix? Unless you’ve taken a linear algebra course, it’s mostly hit and miss…until you learn how it works.

2. Your project is to draw objects to the screen and make them do something. In this case, it would probably be easier and faster to use OpenGL, granted. However, if part of the goal of the class is to understand the fundamentals of computer graphics (which it sounds like), then allowing yourself to ignore ideas like scan lines, vertical refresh, horizontal refresh, etc. would be a serious hinderance to your learning.

3. Your project is just to understand how a graphics library works and how to manipulate it to produce desirable results. I seriously doubt this is the point of the project, but should it be, then I would agree with you. OpenGL is a very impressive graphics library with thousands if not millions of experienced users who can back it.

My final thoughts are that you should do what your professor says. He/she probably has a reason for it, and if you open your eyes and look for it, you’ll probably gain a much better understanding of computer graphics rather than just using what’s available. Sometimes, what’s available is next to nothing.

Aside: If you’re interested in really learning computer graphics, pick up a book called “Zen of Graphics Programming” by Michael Abrash. Best book in the world to understand the fundamentals. It’s a bit dated unless a newer edition was released, but still a very awesome (and head-spinning) book.

Well, given the choice I’d personally go with OpenGL.

However, maybe your teacher just has little experience with it, thus cannot help you if you get stuck? If you don’t follow their advice, you may find yourself entirely on your own. As it’s not in your best interest to fail the course, maybe you should just trust them on this?

I KNOW Opengl. It’s around 3 months since I’ve started programming in it, and the xcuse offered was that the external examiners would like doubt a project written in opengl.

That does not make any sense, openGL is not based on or have to involve VC++.

OpenGL is written in C, and can be written with a plain C compiler.

Now maybe he is talking about openGL needing to be used under windows on a DOS machine.

Or maybe he would prefer you start with a lower level graphics library, before you jump to something as advanced as openGL?

I wrote my first graphics programs in basic and assembly.

Originally posted by <byteStorm>:
:mad: :mad: :mad:
My computer graphics teacher tells me not to do my graphics project in Opengl as it is involved with VC++. He instead feels that programming in Turbo C/C++ using the graphics library is better.
I think it is wrong idea.
What do you guys say?

Damn you sound just like my old stupid high school programming teacher who knows nothing of programming. Just thought i’d let you know that your not alone. I still remeber him telling us that Visual C++ is cheating and that real programmers dont use it! ha ha ha

Well, frankly, I don’t see where his reasoning comes from in saying that OpenGL has any relation to VCPP. However, I do agree that you should start with the basics that he is teaching you. Even if you are the God Of OpenGL and know everything about what anyone could teach you, just do what he says and ace the class.