View Full Version : TEXT?

07-17-2001, 01:35 AM
I am pretty emarrased to say, that I can't get text to be displayed properly in my app. I have a little first person walkaround. Everything works fine thus far, but the damn text. It gets displayed, but it's static and does not remain on screen. I rendered it whilst I was in gluPerspective, which killed the frames per second like nothing. OK I know I'm supposed to do it in glOrtho, but how do I switch to Ortho and then back to Perspective again? I tried a lot of things, and my text ends up correctly, but my whole 3D world is skewed and squished. It's really anoying, and I can't seem to get it right. Can someone help me pleeze.

07-17-2001, 03:22 AM
The GLUT source distribution has a lot of examples.

07-17-2001, 04:01 AM
Couple things:

To switch from perspective to ortho:
glOrtho(yadda, yadda);
//Draw text here

Secondly - adding text is probably still going to kill your fps - there really isn't a really good, fast way of doing it: bitmaps are OK, but still not exactly blazing on most middle-of-the-road consumer cards. Not to mention the fact that last I checked, doing it in perspective in no slower than doing it in ortho - I think your problem is that your translations/rotations affect your text, and you don't want them to. The above code will fix that.

Michael Steinberg
07-17-2001, 10:20 AM
I can put the whole screen full with characters and it doesn't kill the performance too much? Are you using the pixel stuff from opengl or actually using textured quads?

07-17-2001, 10:44 PM
I'm using a font library with windows fonts.
I sat last night for 5 hours trying to get it to work and I got it to, but it still kills the fps, damnit. So how does the professional people add text to the scene then? O yeah, I'm running a GeForce 2 btw, so I don't think it's the card.

[This message has been edited by RedZen (edited 07-18-2001).]

07-18-2001, 03:53 AM
Use screen aligned textured quad, that should be fast. There's some stuff on this in the FAQ.

07-18-2001, 03:56 AM
Thanks dude.