View Full Version : Switching projection

10-23-2003, 10:21 AM
I have a program that needs to be able to switch between orthographic and perspective projection at run time. The function below if being called every time the user switches projection:

void COpenGLManager::SetupRenderingContext()
//Set the viewport
GLsizei W = (GLsizei)m_pPanel->Width,
H = (GLsizei)m_pPanel->Height;
glViewport(0, 0, W, H);

if (!m_bPerspective)
m_fRotX = m_fRotY = 0.0;
if (W <= H)
glOrtho (-m_fBoxSize/2, m_fBoxSize/2, -m_fBoxSize/2*H/W,
m_fBoxSize/2*H/W, m_fBoxSize/2, -m_fBoxSize/2);
glOrtho (-m_fBoxSize/2*W/H, m_fBoxSize/2*W/H, -m_fBoxSize/2,
m_fBoxSize/2, m_fBoxSize/2, -m_fBoxSize/2);
m_fTransX = m_fTransY = 0.0;
GLfloat fAspect = (GLfloat)m_pPanel->Width/(GLfloat)m_pPanel->Height;
gluPerspective(40, fAspect, 1.0, -500.0);

For some reason, this code doesn't change the projection, even if m_bPerspective is being changed. I'm probably just being stupid here, but what am I missing? Why isn't it working?

10-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Your call to both Ortho and Perspective are wrong.

First, W and H are integers, which means you get integer division when dividing the two. Integer division is not the same as the division you probably expect, so declare H and W as floatingpoint values instead of integers.

Second, in Perspective, the near and far planes must be positive, and the far plane must be larger than the near plane.

10-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Thanks for pointing that out, but it still doesn't work. The problem isn't that to projection is messed up, but that it never switches projection. It is always orthographic.

10-24-2003, 08:29 AM
If you haven't done so allready try putting a puts("***") or something before the gluPerspective call. This will quickly let you know if this call is executed when it should be. If this turns out to be the case I can see no reason why you would be stuck with an ortho projection. I bet the gluPerspective call never gets executed.

10-25-2003, 01:07 AM
No, the call is being executed. I've checked with the debugger.

10-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Hmm, the code looks ok, I guess it should work.A few questions.

Are you using more than one rendering context? If yes, always the same one being activated?
If you glGetXX(GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX,projmx) before and after the gluPerspective call, does the matrix change?
Anything from glGetError?
If you step through the gluPerspective call, does it call glLoadMatrix or glMultMatrix at any time?

10-26-2003, 04:48 AM
I have no calls to glLoadMatrix or glMultMatrix, and I don't have several rendering contexts.
I found something strange though. If I resize the window the rendering context switches as it's supposed to. However, all the resize function does is call the SetupRenderingContext function I posted above. It seems the problem is somewhere else in my code.
Thanks for the help anyway.