Career Option

Hi,
I would like to know from anyone who knows what opengl really is if i can make opengl as my career platform.
I feel that graphics field as a whole is where there is not much of opportunities. what i mean is the very less money u get paid when u are just not in a big firm.

So please explain regarding this and if i’m wrong about this field of graphics, please let me know how to get there, at the top!

Thanx and hoping for a real worthy answer!
LG.

There are plenty of opportunities; I started out as a mechanical enngineer but now I am a games programmer. OpenGL ddevelopment opportunities existed in both fields, first in programming custom CAD/visual simulation software, and now in wirting game engines :O) Just keep at it if it is something you really want to do, that’s my best advice.

Originally posted by LG:
[b]Hi,
I would like to know from anyone who knows what opengl really is if i can make opengl as my career platform.
I feel that graphics field as a whole is where there is not much of opportunities. what i mean is the very less money u get paid when u are just not in a big firm.

So please explain regarding this and if i’m wrong about this field of graphics, please let me know how to get there, at the top!

Thanx and hoping for a real worthy answer!
LG.[/b]

Hi DJ,
Thanx for ur comment. I’d also like to know how much does it pay. And if i get a job in opengl, do u think thats gonna stay forever.
Coz, u got to be sure that this feeds me for quite sometime u know!.
Please reply.
Thanx and regards.
LG.

I work for Raytheon CO, and I use OpenGL for my project. It seems that as the faster a computer can display graphics, the more complex and higher quality they get. In saying this I think a openGL programmer right now is in a good spot for advancing his/her career.
At least here at Raytheon, no one really knows openGL, so it’s still a ‘new’ thing. I am currently the openGL expert around at this facility, (which is scairy because I am still learning openGL and have only been using it for 2 months! ) but it seems like I have a lot of oppertunitys for continuing with OpenGl once this project is over.
Note though that openGl may not be around forever. It will go much the same way other programming languages go. As computers get better and better the programming languages have to change so that they can fully use the features of the hardware. We will have to see if OpenGL will advance with the hardware.
I think you can be sucessfull in OpenGL programming at the current time, but my advice is don’t limit yourself to just being an openGL programmer.

hope this helps
Roach